I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide Concept vs Cliff Hall's method vs my own LGTM.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2005 07:27PM

After giving the New Guide Concept some thought as well as Cliff Hall's threads, it seems to me on the current New Guide Concept that line efficiency is reduced because because the line cone coming off the spool has to bend upward toward the blank to get to the butt guide. Why not line up the spool spindle with the inside edge (furthest from the blank) of the ring on the intersection guide and then place the remaing lower guides so the "edge of the table" bisects the center of the guide ring instead of the top edge of the frame? Seem to me this would allow for a symmetrical line cone from the spool spindle down to the intersect guide and it would choke through a concentric arrangement of symetrical guides that would be on the SAME axis - seems perfect to me.

I realize the guides would be moved forward a bit more toward the tip but using slightly larger guides might move them back toward normal spacing. I know the larger guides are heavier and this reduces rod efficiency but we're only whipping the rod once to launch the lure. And if you've got a 15# Salmon out on 70 yards of line in a strong river current, I can't see where a couple of extra grains in the guide weight makes all that much difference. I'm sure someone has thought of this before but why isn't it discussed. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide Concept vs Cliff Hall's method vs my own LGTM.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2005 07:44PM

Read the article on the online library page. They are on the same axis. If you set it up that way, the line will travel in a straight path and that's what you want it to do.

By the way, the line always has to move upward from the spool to the butt guide - gravity is pulling the line downward just as soon as it leaves the spool, regardless of spool upsweep. That's why spool upsweep isn't very important to overall casting quality.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2005 10:48AM

Well I must be a lot dumber than I look because when I read the article, my interpretation is the outside edge of the table is lined up with the top edges of the guide frames. My original thoughts were to put the centerline (table edge) of the spindle on the inside edge of the intersect guide ring (side furthest from the blank) and the remaining lower guides lined up with the table edge centered directly in the center of the ring. I realize the guides in the Concept method are in a straight line - but to me they don't appear to be along the "centerline" of the spool axis itself. I'm just trying to have the guides and the line cone that's formed on the same "centerline or axis" - I just can't see any alignment that does this other than what I've described. When I get ready to build shortly I'll set my guides up as I'm trying to describe and report back later how badly it failed. Thanks for all the help guys.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: October 27, 2005 01:06PM

If you do that you end up with much larger guides which reduce distance due to the extra weight which will be significant. As Tom said, the line falls due to gravity so putting the guide centers on the table edge doesn't buy you anything but larger and heavier guides. Your distance will go down, not up. I've tried it. If you read the original article on the NGC in Rodmaker they said that was why they fell back and put the edge of the guide along the table edge instead of going through the center like Fuji says to do.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2005 01:14PM

I misunderstood what you were saying. Shawn is correct, doing it that way, with the guide ring/s center on the table or straightedge, only increases guide height/size to a point that is counterproductive. Besides, the line is going to travel along the outer edge of the guide rings, not down the center. Gravity precludes that from happening. No reason not to try it for yourself but I can tell you that you won't improve your casting distance and may actually reduce it by a bit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:09PM

That is why I like the Fuji Concept guides. They bring the correct size ring to the propper height for the line. You can get more to the center of the ring, not totally necessary but just easyer to set up. IMHO

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 31, 2005 11:52PM

LGTM = "Looks Good To Me" Method"
After reading this Thread and some e-mail communications with Tim Collins, I am back to thinking more again about the statics and dynamics of the line flow during the cast of a spinning rod, and about some ways to rank or prioritize the various considerations for guides, placement and the energy losses in the system. I'm gonna wait another couple of days and see if this new vision clarifies things. If so, I'll post later in the week. Hopefully, short and sweet, ... LOL, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

"Tell a man what to do, and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man how to think, and soon, he may be feeding you."
-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster