I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balsa wood arbors/inserts
Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:43PM

Hi folks:

I'm looking to build my first rod after nearly thirty years when I build an 8' S-Glass fly rod. The new rod will be built on a 3 piece St. Croix telescoping blanks for a 7' spinning rod I intend to use for fishing the surf along the Monterey, CA coast.

I need to know if high grade balsa, turned and sanded and center-bored, etc., is acceptable for making arbors for the reel seats for light spinning and fly rods. I would like to hear from someone who has gone that route and has a solid opinion based on experience.

Also, who is a good retail distributor of spinning and fly rod components. I see a lot of advertistments for fly rods, but I'm at a loss for a good source to purchase components for spinning rods. Thanks for any held on this subject, too. PEM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balsa wood arbors/inserts
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:38PM

Hi Patrick,
I have never used balsa wood. It is alot lighter but the softness of the wood may shrink under the reelseat. But maybe someone else has used this material. I have used graphite arbors, cork, and cardboard bushings and they all work well. the cardboard bushings are alot heavier and cork can be sanded down as well as the graphite arbors. The newest material coming out for arbors is the polyurathane foam. I hope this helps you out.

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 01:48PM

I would go with the Flex Coat poly arbors, They are great, inexpensive and really easy to work with.

Any of the vendors to the left are good! I like Mudhole myself. There catalog is the best, most imformative out there and I have very little problem with backorders.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2005 01:51PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 25, 2005 04:10PM

I'm with Mike. I don't know why you would want to go to all the trouble to turn down and bore out a peice of balsa when the you can have a FC arbor bored, sanded and glued in place in 3 or 4 minutes. And they're cheap. As far as vendors are concerned, I recommend Fishsticks. They're never given me anything but great service. But as Mike said, it would be pretty hard to go wrong with anyone on the left, just make sure they sell the FC arbors because the Pac Bay arbors are, by comparison, a pain in the neck.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:07PM

Soft as Balsa wood is I would think that it would have a dampening effect on sensitivity as well as just being a real pain to make. Jesse

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:31PM

As Mike & Gerry noted, FlexCoat polyurethane arbors are what I'd use. They're very light, stable, very easy to work with & inexpensive. Very good product IMO.
Stan

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:46PM

Awhile back I had a balsa wood handle covered with leather. It looks good but I don't think I'll do it again. It's just to soft. You can dint it with just slight pressure from your fingers. It's light indeed, but, I don't think I'll use it again for any rod building purpose.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 09:33PM

Neil,
Have you thought about Basswood? Very light/inexpensive. Used for lure carving. Might do the trick. Jann's sells it in blocks.

Mike

Date: October 25, 2005 10:15PM

Mike, I hadn't thought of Basswood - until now that is. I'll talke a look at Jann's Netcraft at their blocks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: October 26, 2005 03:42AM

Hey Neal, just an idea. Maybe use the largest diameter Flexcoat arbors for the grip, then get the leather over that.

Date: October 26, 2005 04:51PM

Thanks Ted. That's another good suggestion I can look into.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster