I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One piece spinning rods 7'6" - 8' long?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 08:30AM

I sent an email to Batson's trying to get an idea of the ideal Salmon blank for my brother with two bad shoulders. Kathy responded and said their one piece IP965 10# -20# blank would be a great choice since it is a moderate action and the bend in the rod with be further bown the blank and easier on the shoulders. The light just went on - duh - makes sense that a rod that bends closer to you hands will be easier to handle compared to one with a faster action that bends closer to the tip.

I'm just wondering how many people really build/use a one piece rod in the 8' range? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One piece spinning rods 7'6" - 8' long?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 08:39AM

I meant Karry - not Kathy.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 09:22AM

Batson's customer service is second to none!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 22, 2005 09:43AM

I don't know much about the suitability of an 8-foot rod for your brother's Salmon fishing, but I know what immediately comes to my mind:

Any rod over 7.5 feet may have to be stowed horizontally in many homes because the sheetrock ceiling drops in ~ 4 inches below 8 feet. He may have to store it at an angle that may make the rod subject to being knocked or getting a crook in the tip. Ask him, and see what he says about where & how he stows his rods.

OH! - Will the rod fit in the vehicle on the way to the river?
If it doesn't, the rod is subject to theft if left in the vehicle unattended.
... That's all, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 22, 2005 09:51AM

It's a great idea, remember the more a rod bends the shorter it's effective leverage against the person using it. I've used Loomis, Batson and Lamiglas popping rods for steelhead rods for many years. The only 25 lb plus steelhead of my life was caught on a 4 power Loomis popping rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 11:16AM

Like Cliff says, make life easyer get a two piece ??

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 22, 2005 04:53PM

Lamiglas makes some 2 piece livebait blanks that also may work, they use them in some of their finished salmon rods. Angler's Workshop is just about 50 ft from the Lamiglas factory. Between them I bet they can come up with something that meets your needs. Something like the GLB902ML 7 ft 6 in blank may be about right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster