I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

handle finish's
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 08:16AM

is it common practice to epoxy the cork handles ?? I did one last year and kinda like the way it feels but I didn't know if it would cause me a problem down the road .I see in the photos that several have been done like this. Pro's and con's.
Thanks
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: handle finish's
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 08:34AM

Just makes them harder and slicker and shinier. Some like it, some don't. For me, the beauty of cork lies in its natural state. If you want a little more protection, use TruOil or U40 Cork Seal. I don't know about putting epoxy on them and wonder if you're not confusing that with the TruOil and Cork Seal.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 09:13AM

With TruOil I only apply two light coats, it doesn't get that shiny, it does bring out the character of the cork and it's not slick in any conditions I've been in. It also keeps the cork cleaner and it's easy to keep clean. Just apply another coat when you think you need to. The Cork Seal I haven't used, but it shines right up if you buff it after the application has dried on a rod lathe. It isn't slick either, at least on the grips I've handled.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:54AM

2 coats of Tru-oil. Sand the first coat with 400 grit while wet. Sand the grip down with 600 and apply the 2nd coat. When dry, sand again with 600 til there is only a faint sheen under strong light. Looks and feels very much like the original, but a little harder.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 12:57PM

Ken,
To actually answer your question, yes, it's prefectly OK to put epoxy finish on a cork grip. I've made three marbelized cigar grips, two of which actually ended up on rods. The only caution would be to make sure that the entire grip is coated so no moisture can get between the cork and the finish. If you don't want the glossy surface, buff it lightly with 0000 steel wool after it's completely dry.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 04:57PM

I have put finishes on cork. But thin it to a watery state, cover the cork, then take most all of it off. If you put a thick coat on it will be nice and shinny, but I have found it to be slippery.
Can also be whiped on with a good rag for a thin coat. You will have to experiment and see how you like it.
It does give the cork a golden color to it.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 05:25PM

Sorry, but I have to differ about the finish being slippery. The first time my son used his 3 weight with the marbled grip, he caught and released several trout, 12-15". I asked him specifically if he thought the grip was slippery after handling fish and he said it wasn't. That was also my experience with the other grip that I marbled, and a marbled grip does not have a thin coat of finish.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 09:12PM

I have fished with rods with wood grips that have coats of finish on them and found them to be totally non-slippery. I think that is a myth that needs dispelling! There are countless numbers of rods being fished with wood handles that have highly finished surfaces and the only ones that I hear bringing slickness up are those that haven't tried them.

Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:16PM

I like a glossy finish and usually apply up to 15 coats of TruOil on cork grips, sanding between coats. In my experience, they are not slippery at all. In fact, fish slime seems to make them less slippery. That's my observation on TruOil taken to a glossy finish. Others may disagree.
Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:19PM

Well with spinning rods that I have built when the ball of my hand was resting on the cork I found it to be very slippery and uncomfortable when holding and always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand. Did not like the lack of controll I felt I had holding it. This was with several coats of finish on.
Now i just use one very thin coat which gives it more of a ruff feeling and more of a controlled grip.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:31PM

Bill,
Perhaps some of us might be using a "death grip" on those shiney handles to keep from pitching them off the boat, pier, etc. Just do what works.
Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:41PM

No, I just don't like them. They looked pretty.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 22, 2005 12:11PM

I haven't applied finish to cork grips (yet), but I held and played with one of Gerry's when I was out to see him. There wasn't anything slippery about that grip. If anything, it seemed like it had some traction to it in my hand??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 06:13PM

I'm a Stan Fan on this one, I put 4-5 coats of Tru Oil to a gloss finish, do not find it slippery even in the rain but rather it seems to repel water better than an uncoated handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster