I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic - alternative reel solution for the somewhat handicapped.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:56AM

Even with two bad shoulders and arthritis in his hands, my 69 year old brother was able to land several Salmon on our trip recently. I let him use my best equipment but the reel's handle has only a 2" radius and it was difficult for him to reel them in as the day went on. Is there a spinning reel available for the somewhat handicapped? I would assume as an alternative to a larger handle radius, one that was geared easier would also work. Sorry if this post doesn't follow rod building but someone else may need this help as well. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic - alternative reel solution for the somewhat handicapped.
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 11:24AM

I don't know if this will help, but Bob Dennison makes a fly/spin reel with a large handle for steelheaders. It is currently on @#$%&. If the physical effort of cranking the reel is the problem, the highest possible gear ratio on a big spool will take in line fastest.

Date: October 20, 2005 11:49AM

Then I want to go the other way - gear action that would take line in the "slowest". Thanks.

Date: October 20, 2005 12:06PM

Tim. Are you using a spinning rod and reel? It might be helpful if you can describe the motion that hurts, then we can collectively come up with the fix. Winding reels at high speed can be fatiguing.

Date: October 20, 2005 12:27PM

Tim Collins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the reel's handle has only
> a 2" radius and it was difficult for him to reel
> them in as the day went on. Is there a spinning
> reel available for the somewhat handicapped?

He has trouble cranking the spinning reel with a Salmon on. Most spinning reels I've seen in the 3500 to 4000 series average a 4.9-5.5:1 ratio. Dawia has an Appolo series that offers a 3.9:1 but could be a bit light for Steelhead/Salmon. If there isn't a lower gear ratio available in that size reel then the next step is to find or make a handle with larger radius. (I'm more concerned about getting shot now by not posting rod making questions).

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:14PM

Tim,
I don't think this thread is too far away from rod buiding !
I have a friend who has some physical limitations similar
to what you discribe and I was able to help by attaching a
larger handle to the existing spinning reel handle by removing
the nob and effectively drilling and screwing on an extention
similar to a "speed crank" for a casting reel. This gave my friend
the leverage needed and also something he could hold on to
better.( much larger nob ).
Also, you might concider some type of fighting harness that
could be used to releave the stress on his shoulders and
transfer it to his back. Good Luck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: October 20, 2005 03:46PM

Tim, I am still not clear, is it that your brother is not strong enough to wrestle a big fish in or is it simply a problem of hand dexterity? If one bows the rod on the retrieve, there should not be any extra effort turning the reel handle. You create slack and reel that in. Fighting the fish with the rod is a different matter and it sounds as if this is the problem. Please advise.

Date: October 20, 2005 05:25PM

Actually Don you're right on - it was a little bit of both. The last Salmon he hooked was foul and dead in the middle of the top dorsil fin. The fish got sideways in the current and stayed there like a parked car. He really can't pull the rod back with any authority and then retrieve as he was trying to do with this last one that wouldn't budge. I took over and just jerked and retrieved and pulled it right up to the boat. Since he can't pull back the rod that well, an easy cranking reel seems the best option I can think of - because I'm taking him Salmon fishing again next year. If I can't find something he can use, maybe I'll put a leader on some 1/8" nylon rope and see how well he can hand line! I'll probably try to rig an extension that goes across both knob posts and see how well turning the reel with a 4" radius works. Thanks.

Date: October 20, 2005 06:28PM

Okay. I don't think the reel is the problem. You never really winch a fish in. You get his head turned towards you and take up the slack as the fish tires and swims your way. The foul hooked fish is closer to dead weight than a hook-lipped fish. I once hooked a stripped bass (10+) pounds on an ultralite spinning rod. Just could not move the fish. I don't have a quick answer, but I think what you want is a rod that maximizes your brother's available strength. A "fighting grip" further up the blank is what some salt guys use on fly rods. With a harness or ball extension and the correct length butt, you can anchor the butt at waist level and put both hands up onto the fighting grip and haul away. If sitting, you simply lean back, then lean forward to create some slack. Now rods with fighting butts and fighting grips are designed for this purpose. Maybe some knowledgeable guys will pitch in with a factory rod for you, or offer to build what you need.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 07:32PM

Maybe one of the big handled salt water models like the Cabelas Salt Stalker or the Diawa Emcast Plus would get it done. The Shimano or Diawa canadian style direct drive mooching reels may also get the job done if he can grip the smaller knob well. (Looks like a big fly reel) My grandfather still goes out with maybe the same problems, Dad or myself just stand behind him with a hand lightly on his shoulder and he straight arm leans back into us much like the standup fishermen do and reels up as he comes forward. He uses a shorter rod I built for him some years ago to take the strain off him and put it on the fish. He uses a Diawa Capricorn 6500 I think.

Posted by: Alan K. Sautter (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 07:51PM

Try doing a google on "Shelton Strikefighter" This may help your brother more than a modified reel. Would supply the leverage to pump and then he could reel in the slack.
Alan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:40PM

Sounds like no power in the arm and shoulder ? if so how about rigging up some type of " bungie cord " the large rubber bands with hooks on the ends and have it attach to the reel and go around his neck and maybe under one arm like a sling. This way it is flexible but would help give a little more power to pull up on the reel ??

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 10:21AM

Could you rig a harness similar to the ones used for very large salt water fish? With the rod attached to his body harness, he could use his upper body to pull the fish in and then just take up the slack as he bends forward. Also adding one of the ideas for enlarging the handle on the reel would make that easier for him as well. Good luck.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster