I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another lathe ??
Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 06:54AM

Ok guys I see I will have to order a chuck seperate, so can you tell me what you guys have and like?
I guess I will need to buy a drill chuck as well.

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another lathe ??
Posted by: Gary Hern (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 08:00AM

I have a full compliment of wood turning equipment. One of my hobbies it turning bowls. (another addiction!) There are no chucks better than the Oneway chucks in my opinion. The Nova would be a step down. That being said, If you are just going to be turning handles and such, you don't need one of these. A drill chuck (any) do many things. YOu can do this with jam chucks which are nothing more than pieces of wood that you turn and bore which allows you to wedge the blank inside of it. (works best for 2 piece or telescopic rods). The drill chuck will allow you to use mandrels or again, you can use a jam chuck and the tail stock with these also. There are some great places on the internet to learn advanced woodturning techniques.

I'm sure someone will weigh in on the el-cheapo chucks, but I know nothing about them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:16AM

I use a One-Way Talon and a One-Way StrongHold on my two better woodworking lathes. Penn State offers a far less expensive but similar chuck that would probably be more than adequate for what you're wanting to do. Their PSI Mini Grip is 4-jaw self centering and comes with several accessory jaw sets for just $80. The PSI Barracuda is similar but beefier and runs just $90. Either of these handle the chores at hand and will hold up for many years.

The standard Taig 3-jaw self centering chuck that you see on the Renzetti and Custom Power Wrap machines can also be had from Penn State Industries for just $59. It's not half bad even for use on a woodworking machine. Make sure to order the correct thread number to fit the headstock on your lathe.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:40AM

You will find that one chuck will probably not be enough because it will not do everything you want. I think you can get by with a Psi selfcentering and a drill chuck if you turn the blank to a round before drilling. By the way it is not as easy as it looks to drill holes on a lathe. The travel just is not there so it takes a lot longer to complete. If you have several holes to drill it can take a long time. Also wood chucks are limited in how small they will grab.

I also posted re the lathe selection below.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 09:51AM

I have the 3 jaw self centering chuck on a 36" 1980 Sears lathe with the ball bearing tail stock and it does everything I've wanted it to do concerning rod building. I use it just about every day if nothing more than rounding the edges on grips as I cannot stand sharp edges on a grip. This lathe sells in the 3-4 hundred dollar range so with the chuck and ball bearing tail stock you are looking at about 5 hundred total. You say,"Why not the mini lathe?" You can't use a 24" reamer in a mini for one but that's up to you. Jesse

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:01AM

The mini lathes all have available bed extensions for very little money. Most will easily push out to 40" if needed.

Most chucks allow you to change jaws so you can do a multitude of tasks with the same chuck. A 4-jaw self centering will allow you to chuck square stock as easily as round stock.

Just some things to consider. You don't have to spend a fortune to get started in this.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:13AM

HEere's what I got: the 3-jaw standard mentioned above from PSI for $60. Works great holding items from about 1/4" up to 1 1/4". I had mine modified by a Machinist to be able to hold items up to 1 1/2. I have a 3-Jaw PSI Mini, which I find much more useful than the larger one. It holds Mandrels much better, there is no way for the Mandrel to slide inside the headstock as it spins since the inside of teh chuck is solid. Andy Dear pointed this out to me, and I've had MUCH better results using this with teh MAndrels. It WILL hold everything down to 0", it closes all teh way down tight. Most arbors fit in this chuck better as well, sanding disks, etc.

TEh only problem with te mini chuck is I do not see it when it is spinning, which is great for tool clearance, but I'm not the careful-est person in teh world, and twice have put my hand too close and taken a chunk out of my left hand & my left pointer finger. Be careful, obviously.

A cheap-o Jacobs from PSI which holds up to 1/2" is perfect for most drill bits.

One problem I have experiances with teh hardened steel Mandrels & the standard 3-Jaw chuck, is that the Jaw are made from Aluminum, and they are pretty well chewed up from chatter & another issue I'll outline below.

Just make sure everythign fits the specs on your lathe prior to ordering. Call the company you are ordering from, and ask them, PSI has been very helpful when I've had to call them in the past. Also make sure the tail stock is PERFECTLY aligned with the HEad Stock, there's a post from early this year or late last year where my HEadstock was seemingly in-line with teh tail stock, until I moved it 18" away. Then I noticed the MAndrel was not 100% spinning on a flat axis, but when I put the live center into the end, it "was". Waht ended up happeneing is the mandrel would wobble & the jaws got beat up pretty good.

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 07:41PM

One solution that I have adopted from watching others using some of the larger lathe chucks, due the disappearing act that ensues when spinning at a high speed, as Billy has experienced, is to wrap a colored athletic wrist band over the chuck. I can pull it toward the head while chucking up a piece of wood, then pull it over the chuck head and jaws before start up. The colored band lets me know where the jaws are at all times.

Dinged a few myself, and trying not to due it again.

Tim

Posted by: larry erickson (204.246.240.---)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:03PM

Another chuck possibility.

I bought a 3-jaw from Harbour Freight for under $30. Comes with a screw off #2 taper shaft. I use it mainly on my homemade rod wrapper but it's a nice addition to the big hogger sears 3-jaw on my wood lathe. The only problem I found on the rod wrapper application is you can't tell how tight it gets and it can crush the blank. To solve this I made slip on solid rubber grippers and can tighten it all I want. Nice chuck for the money.

larry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2008 01:59PM

Good tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster