I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Sections are "Really "stuck...Need advise
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 10:52AM

Top all<>

I've got a client with a 6 pc 16' rod with the two bottom sections locked-up.

I've tried all the advice I can give him, but no luck so far.

He lives in Scotland and if worse comes to worse, he can return the rod and I can seperate mechanically, but we are trying to find an easier way.

Sure would like to know an easy cure for this pesky problem.

Any ideas ?

Bob Meiser

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Sections are "Really "stuck...Need advise
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 11:46AM

Try laying an ice cube on the stuck ferrule for 5 or 10 minutes. Then try to pull it apart. Use those rubber things that they sell to remove jar lids to grip the rod if possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 11:48AM by Rob Matarazzo.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2005 11:49AM

Cold temperature is the very best way to get stuck sections apart. Do as Rod mentioned, or even just set the rod in front of a very cold AC unit for an hour. This usually does the trick, if not, then you've got a problem. Let us know what happens, but do try the cold thing.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 12:41PM

I agree cold is the answer. I had a glass rod that I thought would never come apart, tried ice cubes and no luck, finally got a piece of dry ice and it only took a couple minutes and it did the trick. The rod was tip over butt and only put the dry ice on the female ferrule. One note of caution, don't handle the dry ice with your bare hands, it will cause a painful burn.

Date: October 19, 2005 01:00PM

Hi Guys,

Tried the regular ice.

Coolgrampa <> Dry ice sounds good, and will try this as well.

Tom my friend....I like the AC idea, but You may be right <> This is a tuff one.

Unfortunately the angler is a full time Gillie on the River Spey.

....Fortunatly it is only one guide locked at about 15 degrees off axis so he can still fish her.

I've heard of a cold propellent aersol as well <> Any one ever hear of this ?

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 01:24PM

Never used CO2 for your problem but I know a CO2 fire extinguisher will cool a case of warm beer real well. CO2 does come in spray cans and if it is available in Scotland might be worth a try.

Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 19, 2005 01:26PM

What is it about cold that works? Does it shrink the material used in the blank enough for the 2 sections to come apart?

Good luck Bob.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: October 19, 2005 02:05PM

Slightly different perhaps but I recently had a stuck ferrule, totally immoveavble. I took it fishing on a real wet day. When I got back to the truck I gave it a try just to see and it came apart just like it should. But he has probably already tried that by now , living in Scotland! John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2005 02:16PM

The pieces contract and that allows them to come apart. In fact, it is usually expansion due to warm weather that causes them to stick in the first place.

Granted, the female portion contracts on the inside and outside, but cold still seems to do the trick most of the time.

Date: October 19, 2005 03:06PM

Hey coolgrampabob,

I think the Co2 is a "cool" idea...That's what I was trying to think of.

Thanks...And an especially good idea for a warm sixer.

<> Although the Scott's may like their Stout at air temp and their Scotch neat or with water..};^)...!!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 03:48PM

Bob
Judicious usage of Trondak's fabulous "Ferrule Lube" will prevent these things from happening in the future.
Ralph

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 08:24PM

put a spinning reel on it and go cast enough weight to load it up a few times.that always seems to unstick my popper rod.

Date: October 19, 2005 09:29PM

HOLLY SMOKES RALPH....

So good to hear you pipe in....};^)....!!!!

<> And yes indeed I've been a bad boy.

This would not have happened had my guy used "Ferrule Lube"

Hope all is well with you.

Going to be attending a Spey Clave in Carnation, WA this coming weekend.

....Bringing a bunch of new rods and will be "lathe adjusting" a few taper dias. for some proto blanks while my field guys cast them with various lines.

A good demo for the attendees to help them understand how tapers are developed in the field.

Be kinda fun.

Not to far from home for you !!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 19, 2005 11:51PM

IF you want to try the COLD-CONTRACTION approach, and the ice cube or the direct air-conditioning does not work: THEN if you can get or already have an aerosol can of pressurized computer or electronics dust cleaner, that should work to significantly cool the male half of the ferrule. READ the label on the aerosl can. It should only contain some type of halogenated alkane, such as "100% Tetra-Flouro-Ethane". If it does not list Contents, but if the label says "Residue-free" AND if it says "Caution: Do not spray on skin - May cause FROST-BITE", then THAT'S the stuff you want. Spray it until the male part turns whitish - that's the condensation in the air turning to FROST, and that should get the parts below 20 degrees Fahrenheit pretty fast.

I am not so sure I recommend freezing the female side - she might split when you go to crack the joint while she's ice cold. ... Actually, several freeze and warm cycles may be safer than trying to wrench it apart while it is ice cold. This way, you can spray the entire ferrule, because just spraying the hilt of the male isn't gonna reduce his plug very much.

If THAT does not work, have you ever tried to get a few drops of De-Natured Alcohol to flow down into the ferrule? It has a good wetting property, and it should be able to work its way into the joint and act as a lubricant. If you use 70% IsoProplyl Alcohol instead, and it does not work, then I would not follow with any FREEZE method, because the 30% water content of the 70%IPA may leave enough H2O in the joint, and when water freezes it EXPANDS (that's why ice floats), which may crack the ferrule. Or free it - it's your call what to do - just think about what you are doing and evaluate the risks.

By the way, take a look at the other ferrules to get a general idea of how this customer takes care of this rod (or doesn't) - if they show scratches from grit or boulders of sand, then this lock-up may be due to grit-lock, and not just a simple over-pressing of the halves together. ... The damage may already be done, ... Let's hope not. ... Good luck, Cliff Hall, FL-USA+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster