I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Trout Rod
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:13PM

I would like to build a bait casting/casting rod 6'6" that I can enjoy for catching Spekled trout. I would like it to be fast ,and medium to medium light action. I am looking to spend around $150 on components. I need the following:

Blank
Reel Seat
Guides
Corkhandle small

I would like it to be as light as possible. Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions for parts? I would like to get the highest quality in parts for 150 that I can....If you think you can get the above for less please suggest.

Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Trout Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:32PM

You can build one fine spec rod for that price even at retail price. Look for a popping rod 843 for trout only or 844 for trout/redfish. Exposed blank reel seat - 10 " split the rear grip - either none or three inch cork foregrip -winding checks - titanium frame SIC rings - in low frame V and fly guides and spiral wrap the thing. Guide set will probably require 12 Dbl Ft, 08 or 07 Dbl Ft Bumper, 10 Single Foot, 1 - 8 Single Ft , 3 or 4 - 7 Single Ft and one 5.0 or 5.5 tube tip top with 7 ring. Ask the guy you buy the blank from to fit up a top and the right size reel seat before shipping. TiCh hook keeper. Use A threads and do not gaudy it up too much with early stage butt wrapping - Meet up with a local builder close to you and go for it!

The titanium frames guides are the best on the market and fall within your budget. If you want to shave about $ 25 off the cost of the parts you can order the TiCh coated stainless steel frame guides with gold rings with nitride coatings on the rings which will hold up pretty well if properly rinsed with fresh water.

I like the Lamiglas and the Rainshadow Popping Series Blanks both of which are high quality.
Good luck.

Gon

Gon

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 12:10AM

Jeff,
I live nine miles south of Humble and one mile from the cemetary on 59 north. You are welcomed to stop by and look at my "light" rod if you live in this area. Just shoot me an e-mail or call me. I am in the phone book as E P Mendiola. I will be glad to help you out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 18, 2005 12:37AM

Mudhole has some of the Cascade Composite (built blanks for Rainshadow and others) XP 843 blank at a great price. They are all the way down under the RX8 bass blanks listing. From there you could go pretty high end and still stay under your limit.

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2005 08:44AM

Jeffery I live in Spring Branch if you are close just drop me an e mail and we can get together if you like. I am just getting back into building myself finally retired. I primarily fish for specks myself. Gregg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster