I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two questions about Rainshadow blanks
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: October 17, 2005 07:15PM

Hello all. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me about this company. First, is it true that the owner used to build blanks for Loomis? Second, what should you get in the plastic bag with your Rainshadow blank (e.g. decal)?
I was at a shop and the saleperson was telling me about these blanks but it never hurts to get some other opinions.
thanks, Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two questions about Rainshadow blanks
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 08:16PM

I have used several blanks from Batson's and have really liked them. In fact, I just posted a picture of a California Sheephead pattern that I am going to weave on an RX7 SW967 blank. This rod will be for one of my sons that lives in San Diego. The blank came with a decal showing the line and lure weight range. The letters on the decal are done in silver. I know of a couple of fly rod builders here in Texas and that is all they use. I am happy with the Batson blanks that I have used and will contunue to use them without reservations. The SW967 blank is a two piece and is straight as an arrow.

Posted by: Brion Kallinen (---.702communications.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 09:11PM

I have built about 30 fly rods for everthing from trout to tarpon using Rainshadow and Forecast blanks from Batson. All my customers are really happy with them. I made two for myself and they're tough to beat. Also if you have any questions Josh and Kerry are very knowledgable and willing to help. They come with a decal on the butt that you can peel off and place up the blank further. This can be a bit tricky to do but it can be done. I seldom use any of the decals prefering to write the info on myself. They also come with a warranty card stapled to the plastic bag.
As far as coming from loomis I believe that is true. But when I've called with questions, never think to ask.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 09:16PM

There import blanks are also very good. Not the 2003 ones though, all after that are excellant.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:01PM

The answers or non answers about Rainshadwo Blanks and the people who make them you got from the "rod salespeerson" should prompt you to ask him one more question, i.e., did he have personal knowledge about the origination of a cane pole? Fine blanks, good people and well done warranty header card.

Gon

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:23PM

Fantastic people who take the time from their busy day to personally answer questions from customers. Emails are many times answered by the CEO. Great blanks, great company, straightshooters in all their business dealings and especially fantastic supporters of the rodbuilding craft.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 12:18AM

Had a blanks package bent into a U by UPS (now I know where they got their name from!) and Batson sent out replacements the second I reported it, no questions asked. 100% happy with their stuff, both service and products.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: October 18, 2005 08:38AM

Thanks for all the replies. I got the answers I need.
Tom.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 08:44AM

aNY OF YOU GUYS TRIED THERE new SPIN GUIDES ????

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 10:29AM

I stripped the single foot snakes from my 11'6" GLX Salmon rod last spring and installed Forecast high frame TiCH frame zirconia coated rings on it. Besides looking awesome, it throws line like a cannon!

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2005 10:44AM

I stripped the single foot snakes from my 11'6" GLX Salmon rod last spring and installed Forecast high frame TiCH frame zirconia coated rings on it. Besides looking awesome, it throws line like a cannon!

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: October 18, 2005 01:20PM

Just to put your mind at rest Tom, most, if not all the folks at Batson Enterprises are rod builders and fishermen. There is almost always a rod in construction somewhere in the offices every time I get in there. Most of the staff have been doing the rodbuilding and component business for many years.. It's one of the few places that you can ask a question and get a straight answer from someone who actually knows about the building process. Good people.

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: October 18, 2005 06:29PM

To answer the question about the decal in the bag... Both of the Rainshadow blanks that I have received had two decal sheets in the bag. The decal has a nice script, silver "Rainshadow", a line weight rating, e.g. 10-20 and a lure weight rating e.g. 3/8oz - 3/4oz

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2005 05:45PM

I've built a good many RX7 Rainshadows in the past year, several of which I USE myself, and they are great blanks at a great price......I watched a really nice bass take my son's RX7 COMPLETELY under the boat with him having 3ft of the rod lying on the gunnel!!!!!....I was just waiting for it to snap in 1/2 any second......it didn't....and it was the largest Bass he's ever caught to this day.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster