I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions / advice on a Crappie rod
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 12:34PM

I am building a crappie rod on a 10’ 7wt Rainshadow fly rod blank. This rod will essentially be a glorified cane pole. It will seldom, if ever, be used to cast and fish will be usually just lifted into the boat rather than reeled in. Handle is 13.5” long using the below listed sliding rings for a reel seat.

Will the Pac Bay rings described below hold both / either a spinning reel and a fly reel? This is going to be a gift so I hate to ask which reel the fellow would prefer using.

GRAPHITE SPIN RINGS
I.D. TO FIT
mm (inch) CORK GRIPS
G24H 23.3 (0.92) LS10A-200

And, not sure what to do about guides – whether to build it more along the lines of a fly rod or as a spinning rod, or, some sort of combination?

Thanks much,
Neil Toland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions / advice on a Crappie rod
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 06:52PM

Need more input Neil !
If the rod will be a surprise then try and get more info from a friend
or family member. you would not want to build something that will
just sit in a closit !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 08:03PM

Careful Careful Careful building them things - you forgot one of the uses for a crappie jigging pole - they will take the thing it and jam it down in the water into a tree top trying to get a two bit bait unhung. I started trying to compete with the locals and almost went busted replacing the things. When I bought my first Forecast 9 foot rod from Bill Batson in Nashville about 5 years ago he grinned when I left with it - I will always think he knew what I was getting into. Bob Batson will be happy to know you are upgrading the crappie industry!

Gon

Date: October 16, 2005 08:12PM

Raymond_Adams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Need more input Neil !

You're probably right Raymond. Thinking I should just buy a spinning reel and put on it. That might be my simplest solution.

Date: October 16, 2005 08:13PM

Raymond_Adams Wrote:
> Need more input Neil !

You're probably right Raymond. Thinking I should just buy a spinning reel and put on it. That might be my simplest solution.

Date: October 16, 2005 08:17PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
> - they will take the thing it and jam it down in
> the water into a tree top trying to get a two bit
> bait unhung.

Yeah Bill, that's why I am building this thing... he broke the tip off of both his crappie poles this year. Thought I'd try to make him one. Maybe he'll be a little more catious with this one... hopefully.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 07:45AM

Neil,
I only live about 10 mi. from the B&M crappie pole warehouse. I have tried to get blanks from them but they they have all their rods made overseas and shipped to West Point Ms. What I'm getting to is that it is cheaper to get one of their rods in 10-16 ft. lengths and strip it of the hardware and handle and rebuild it. These will hold up better as you and Bill both know what some of these good old boys will do with a crappie rod. I believe they are some kind of graphite composite but boy are they tough. I have built them as spinning rods and sometime use all spinning eyes and sometimes use combination of single foot fly eyes and spinning eyes. At any rate the crappie fishermen love them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 09:47AM

Those things have an E Glass tip section are are way overpriced at $ 4.00 each for the blank!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.80.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 10:37AM

Bill

You are complaining about 4 bucks. And I thought I was cheap ?? LOL

Date: October 17, 2005 04:50PM

sam fox Wrote:
> What I'm getting to is that it is cheaper to get one of
> their rods in 10-16 ft. lengths and strip it of
> the hardware and handle and rebuild it.

That's a good suggestion Sam. Wish I'd have thought of it earlier! Well, anyway, as soon as he breaks the tip off this one that'll be my next move.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster