I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pulled my first reel seat today...
Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:23PM

I've got a 10 year old flyrod that was my first attempt at building, and I never liked the way it turned out, so I decided to strip it and do it again. I wanted to remove the seat, and because I work in the shop of "make-do" instead of "go get the right stuff" I heated it over a light bulb. Butt cap came right off, and I was ecstatic. Put it back over the light bulb, grabbed the pliers for a good grip, and pulled and twisted. Seat came right off, too... with the end of the blank. (sigh)

So I inserted a piece of old blank as an extension. I measured it so it would not extend upwards past the grip, and cut it to length after I glued it in. Anyone else ever do this? Is there a better way to repair that? I figured heat was heat, but I guess not. Next time I'll use the boiling method.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulled my first reel seat today...
Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:34PM

Oddly enough, you ended up doing a caveman version of a reel seet repair mentioned a day or so ago :) Doing this for extending rods and such are definately documented in various rod building books like the Dale Clemens Custom Rod Building. Personally I think since it's in the reelseat (which is rigid), it prolly won't affect the rod in terms of casting. Also if you used a like material for the extension, it should also weigh nearly the same. Is there something specific that you did which makes you feel less than secure in the manner to which you did the repair?

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:34PM

Oddly enough, you ended up doing a caveman version of a reel seet repair mentioned a day or so ago :) Doing this for extending rods and such are definately documented in various rod building books like the Dale Clemens Custom Rod Building. Personally I think since it's in the reelseat (which is rigid), it prolly won't affect the rod in terms of casting. Also if you used a like material for the extension, it should also weigh nearly the same. Is there something specific that you did which makes you feel less than secure in the manner to which you did the repair?

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 08:48PM

Actually, the only scrap blank I had was the same material. Both rods are brown IM6. The ferrule end of the bottom half of the scrap fit almost perfectly in the butt end of the other. It broke more or less cleanly at the grip which held it together (I did a good job with the grip!) I glued it all the way along the insert, and I feel it will do the job. I just wondered how someone else might have done it.

Caveman, huh? Well, I do have some evolving to do, I'm still kind of Flintstone at this stuff.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 02:30PM

I did something like that on two of my rods, but I used a piece of wood dowel that I sanded to fit inside the blank about four inches and epoxied it in. It made the rear grip about six inches longer without sacraficing the length of the rod. So far, not any problems. They are both 7' ultra-lites for trout and kokanee. You using a piece of the same type of blank should work okay. Keep in mind that my experience at this madness we call fun is a total of those two (2) rods, so take all of my opinions with a grain of salt.
Murf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster