I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel advice for Seeker CLB704 and 706
Posted by: Kenneth L. Saums (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 02:09PM

Building up a Seeker CLB704 and CLB706 for a friend to use for spanish, king, and dolphin trolling as well as wreck fishing. He asked me to match up a reel for each rod to meet his needs. I've looked at some Newells 220's, Daiwa Saltist 30's as well as Shimano Charter Specials but feel these reels may be too big for these blanks, so I'm looking for recommendations from you all.

Thanks in advance,
Ken Saums

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel advice for Seeker CLB704 and 706
Posted by: Howard Handorf (204.211.96.---)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:05PM

If they are too large then look at the Daiwa Grandwave 30 or 20. Another be is the Avet reels from CA, I think it is the SX series that is small but has a large line capacity

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:54PM

The old Ambassadour 6500 or 7000 series with clicker are ideal and pretty sound reels. I just put a Peen International 975 on a CLB706 and it's a nice match.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 07:06PM

Ken,
If the budget allows, check out the Accurate Boss Magnum line. Smaller and lighter in weight but BUILT to handle the job and last. Great reels. I hope you're building the rods in a Spiral confuguration.
Dave

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 07:29AM

Not sure about the Newell 220's size, but have used every other reel mentioned on this post with those blanks. My fav's are the Grandwave 20 and Int'l 975. The Saltist would be great too, but don't have one so won't comment for sure. They sure seem like a nice little reel. The SX I have is a great little reel, but a bit too small for serious fishing I think as it doesn't have a lot of drag. My Accurate-- I'm not recommending Accurate to anyone right now cause mine has been broke 98% of the time I've owned it, and been sent back to Accurate four times.

The charter special is a good reel that usually takes a beating. I have friends who've used them on charters for leopard shark, salmon and striper trolling for years, along with the 7000 ambassadeurs. They just aren't as pretty as some of the other reels out there.

Phil

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.32.190.adsl.snet.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 07:54PM

Penn 310 or 320gti would work also. Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 10:09PM by Ed Grella.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:10PM

I have a set of 704's with Penn 535's on them. I would ask if he prefers star drags or lever drags for king fishing, and go from there.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: October 16, 2005 11:12AM

Ken,
If kings are a major part of his fishing, I'd avoid most of the levelwind reels that have been recommended. Most levelwinds will wear out quickly from the high-speed runs of a kingfish. If money's not a problem, one of the favorite reels on the kingfish tour is the Penn International 12LT spooled with either 20 or 30 lb. line. Another standard for many years has been the Penn Senator 4/0 High Speed

Lynn

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: October 16, 2005 06:28PM

Lynn- Wow.... you must fish around oil rigs or heavy structure? I've never seen anyone use anything close to that heavy for kings in this part of Florida. Wondering if its a location thing or a technique thing?

Agree with the levelwind issue... forgot about that myself. None of my kingfish reels are levelwind.
Phil

Posted by: Kenneth L. Saums (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2005 09:01PM

Thanks for all the great respones, I think he's going with the Avets. A SX for the 704 and a MX for the 706.
Thanks again,
Ken Saums

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster