I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat fitting reel or vice versa
Posted by: Bryan Yee (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:34PM

I've built 3 fly rods and have run into a problem. The locking rings and collar on the reel seats I'm getting are too small for the feet on my reels. I use Okuma reels, but I'm wondering if anyone could recomend any reel seats to solve the problem. Or is it the cheap Okuma, and should I get a better reel?

Thank you for your assistance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat fitting reel or vice versa
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:45PM

The Fuji or similar nylon/graphite seats will fit any fly reel foot on the market. If you'd rather stick with a different seat, you're going to have to shop around or, as you say, get a different reel. The fly fishing industry still doesn't haven't a good standard for reel feet going.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 08:35PM

i had the same problem with some of redingtons reels also tom is right...........

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.66.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:02AM

bryan. which okuma reel do you have? i have an integrity 5/6 fly reel and i encountered the same problem. or rather, i noticed they were bigger than other reel feet. i asked okuma about it and they said their feet are built to a "standard," dropping "AFTMA" in the email's wording. on the other hand, i have redington CT reels (a 3/4 and a 5/6) which appear to be much smaller than my usual lamson radius reel's feet. they all work, but there is quite a difference and to use the term "standard" size is a joke. unless there are several "standard" sizes.

i have noticed from catalogs and the company's respective web sites that both Struble and REC offer a few fly reel seats in two configurations, one for smaller weight rods and another for larger weight rods. i would imagine this accomodates larger and smaller reels too. perhaps other big name reel seat manufacturer's do this as well (bellinger for instance) but i do not know off hand.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas24.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 12:08PM

I'll add one additional alternative. I am not familiar with the Okuma reels, but If the Okuma has a removeable foot, you can replace it with the foot of another reel that fits the seat. Sometimes you need to re-drill the hole pattern. The cosmetics may not be what you wanted but the result will work especially if the rod is complete. I have done this with early Redington reels using a Martin foot that was a perfect fit and with a Corland foot with some machining. Finding parts can be an adventure but some companies will sell you just the foot as a replacement part for their reels if you find one that fits. It's best to have reel and components in advance as you now have concluded.
Regards,
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 12:34PM

I've had a similar problem with my Pfleuger Medalist fly reels. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 01:24PM

Ever think of just grinding the reel seat foot to fit the seat. Jesse

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.22.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:48PM

many people grind the feet. i've seen a lot of used reels with such notes as having some grinding done in the past. if it's the integrity, contact okuma and request a new foot, grnd that one down for your needs, save the unground one in case you wish to sell it someday.

pfleuger's are well known to have large feet.

writing to the company may help. i was originally contacting okuma for a reel seat replacement and they sent one for free. you could always ask if their smaller reel, the sierra, has same hole placement if the footing is replaceable, i think the feet are smaller. i don't know which okuma you're dealing with but the integrity has a separate foot, with two small screws. cheaper reels are usually one piece die cast i think.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bryan Yee (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 06:31PM

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have decided to grind the feet on my Okuma. I'll use it while I save for a new reel.

Thanks again!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 09:21AM

After grinding, why not color it then put a coat of say permagloss on

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: October 17, 2005 11:18AM

Actually, there is a reel seat standard that was developed by the American Fly Tackle Manufacturers Association (AFTMA). If you go to the REC website, they have a copy of the standard, with measurements, and all. I would not expect some of the Japanese brands to use the AFTMA standard. However, I have found that most US manufacturere and some US companies that have products fabricated off shore use the AFTMA standard for their fly reel seats.

My $0.02

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster