I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast speys
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 05:35PM

I want to build a spey rod on a cheaper or better not too expensive blank.
Can you help me with the forecast speys especially the 13' 8/9 and the 14' 9/10? How do they perform?
I know the Loop Yellows and Blues and the older Sage speys (e.g. the old brown 3pc. 12'6 9/10). Are the Forecasts comparable to these rods or other speys? ... are they faster, slower, stiffer, heavier, ...?
I want the rod for underhand casting short scandinavian shooting heads (mainly floaters).
Thanks
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast speys
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 05:52PM

You may want to try the Mud Hole. They were having a sale a while back . Bought a Rainshadow 13 foot spey. Nice rod I THINK I paid about $100.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:14PM

Stefan, I'm not much of a spey caster yet but have built several rods on the Forecast spey blanks. My customers like them a lot. I built a Sage 7/8 spey for a buddy that is a very accomplished spey caster. I think it was the 9140. I recently took a Forecast 8/9 up to him to try and he wants to trade me the Sage for the Forecast. Hardly a scientific study of the differences, but I think it is indicative of the performance of the Forecast models.

Good Luck

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: David Olley (---.l6.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:24PM

I built a 14ft 9/10 for one of the ghillies on my local river in Scotland.
He rates it as one of the best casting rods he has used, regardless of price.
I then built one for myself! I love it.
Action is probably more traditional Scottish than Scandinavian.
Dave Olley
Scotland

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 11:59PM

The Batson clan has some accomplished two handed rod anglers. Shoot them your question, I've recieved great info from them in the past. Rainshadow/Forecast to the left.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 01:36AM

Hi Stefan,

We now have a series of fast recovery ,all purpose rods, <> For both high hand and underhand power.

Suitable for both Skagit / Scando style shooting heads and short to mid length belly spey tapers.

The 12'6" and the 13'0" do also make excellent overhead rods.

All 4 pc.

An 11'6" 5/6/7....Grain window: 380 to 450.......$95.00....3 oz.

A 12'6" 6/7/8.......Grain window: 420 to 560.......$105.00....4.2 oz

And a 13' 7/8/9....Grain window: 480 to 620.......$115.00....5 oz

These are fast recovery progressive action, progressive tapered rods of my designs <> IM8 material.

Very similar in tapers, recovery characteristics, and durabilty of my 4 pc. 10'6" switch rods.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 02:28AM

Seems like you could do a lot worse than the Meiser stuff. I fished a 12'6"er yesterday for the first time and WOW.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.66.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:06AM

geez, i have a feeling i'm going to feel very very very stupid.... who's bob meiser??? :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 05:57AM

eric zamora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> geez, i have a feeling i'm going to feel very very
> very stupid.... who's bob meiser??? :-)
>
> eric
> fresno, ca.

He is THE man around here when it comes to two handers!Check out his stunning rods here at [www.meiserflyrods.com]

He manufactures and builds some of the most beautiful,highest quality,highest performing two handed rods on the market at ANY price.His reputation in the spey world is impecable.Check out the feedback on his many rods on the forum in Dana Sturn's Spey Pages [www.speypages.com] Many of the best spey anglers choose his rods over all others.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.90.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 11:12AM

yup, i was right! stoopid stoopid stoopid ;-)

is it against policy to post an address or business name in a signature if not a site sponsor? it might be helpful if Bob (and others) added his site's URL below his name in posts. i can't be the ONLY reader at RB.org who didn't know. or can i be??

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 02:20PM

He is a sponsor, R.B Meiser Rods to the left, been here forever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster