I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

forecast spey kits at hook & hackle?
Posted by: Tom Brooks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:07PM

I'm looking seriously at the Forecast 13' 8/9 spey rod kit being offered at Hook & Hackle for under $90 bucks!, but I'm wondering if I should order some larger ceramic stripping guides? Does anyone have any experiance with these rod kits from H&H? Are the kit components decent? Don't know if I should order just the blank and upgrade the components? Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: forecast spey kits at hook & hackle?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:13PM

Be careful in using guides that are larger than needed. Because of the length involved and the modulus of the Forecast blanks, the worst thing you can do is to hang any extra weight out there 13 feet from the end of the rod. You can greatly undermine the performance of the rod and your enjoyment in using it. Just use guides that are large enough to pass your line and connections and no larger. On some rods this wouldn't be a really big deal, on something this long it can be.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:15PM

Although I can't give you info specific to the spey blank, I have made a couple rods with their IM6 blanks. The blanks are excellent quality, but one I bought the kit, and was disappointed with the choice of reel seat, and ended up working the grip to suit me. I've never done that before with anyone else's grip. If I build another rod on their blank, I will choose my own components like I did the first time.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave

Posted by: David Olley (---.l6.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 13, 2005 01:53PM

Hi
I have built two spey rods on this blank, one with a kit and one I did myself
To be honest the kit was adequate but I did better for very little more money.
The blank from H&H is fantastic value and worth spending money on the components.
Dave Olley
Scotland

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 06:07PM

I built a 14 footer with one of their kits, and it was OK, but if I could do it again I would not get a kit. I don't really like the straight foregrip that came with it, and the stripper guides seemed very cheap. I love H&H for their great deals, but I would advise you to pick out the components yourself. You'll love the blanks! Very nice for the price IMHO.

Ray,
Juneau, AK

Posted by: Tom Brooks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 11:05PM

Thanks for all of your advise. I went ahead and ordered the kit from H&H and than decided to upgrade to Batson's cork grip and their reel seat. The reel seat is a blue woven graphite insert with gun metal aluminum parts. If the stripping guides don't meet my expectations than I'll trade them out also. Even with the extras, I still think this is a great buy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster