I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Convertible Rod Components?
Posted by: Charles Maeda (---.phs.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 02:20PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to rodbuilding, but I want to build a new rod that can be converted between a fly rod and a casting rod. I looked on Cabelas and on Mudhole, but I can't find anything that will allow me to do this. I got this idea from a cheap rod I have that can be converted from a spinning rod to a fly rod. It is a 4 piece rod made by Eagle Claw. The Eagle Claw rod is yellow and fiberglass. It has a black hypalon handle. I would like to build a graphite version that I can convert between a fly rod and a casting rod. I would like this one to have a cork handle and look a lot better. Anybody have any ideas?

I've already thought about buying another Eagle Claw rod and taking the components off of that one, but I don't want Hypalon and I don't like the reel seat either.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Convertible Rod Components?
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 02:58PM

Charles,
Ralph O'quinn builds a pretty cool spin/fly rod. He purchases a 9' 5wt blank in 4 pc. and orders a 2nd mid 2 section. He builds the fly out of the 9' then builds the spinning handle on the 2nd mid section which gives him a 6'6" spinning rod. He told me that he has been doing this for some time and has gotten a really good response from the people he has built them for.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:43PM

Between Fly and spinning is often done. I don't know if fly/casting would be feasible as the guide size/spacing is vastky different wheras fly/spinning guide setup is very similar. I'm not much of a fly fisherman and could well be wrong, but I don't think that it would work very well.

Mike

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.150.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:22PM

Todd Vivian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charles,
> Ralph O'quinn builds a pretty cool spin/fly rod.
> He purchases a 9' 5wt blank in 4 pc. and orders a
> 2nd mid 2 section. He builds the fly out of the 9'
> then builds the spinning handle on the 2nd mid
> section which gives him a 6'6" spinning rod. He
> told me that he has been doing this for some time
> and has gotten a really good response from the
> people he has built them for.
>
> Todd
>
> Todd R. Vivian
> Lamiglas, Inc.
>
> todd@lamiglas.com

Darn, that is a really good idea! I think I will consider making one of these. I remember when I sold tackle (long ago, in the late '60s/early '70s) those Eagle Claw combos. If I remember correctly, the handle was reversible. Insert the first section one way, a fly rod, and the other way, a spinning rod. But, I like the idea of an extra section. That would adjust the length properly, too.
Question, though (I'm pretty new to this). Will mfgs. sell the extra section readily? I guess if they make each section separately, it wouldn't be too costly. Might mess up inventory, though.
Steve Broadwell
bcrods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 09:24AM

If your making a multi piece steelhead drift rod of something like that it's completely feasible to just build two butt sections, one casting, one fly. The Dan Craft FTs would be a good choose.

Posted by: Charles Maeda (---.phs.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 01:00PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. It looks like Todd's idea sounds like the best route to take. I saw on Cabelas that they are selling a Stowaway 4-piece rod for about $30 ea. It won't be too expensive to buy two and I'll even have an extra tip if that breaks. Something really bothers me though, about buying two rods and only having one rod built (even at such a low price)! I am new to all this so I wasn't even sure if the resulting rod would be any good since it had to do double duty as fly and casting rods. I also looked for the Dan Craft FTs, but I didn't find any info on these rods on the Dan Craft website. Can someone tell me about them? Thanks!

Charles

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 04:50PM

This was the reply I made to a builder that inquired about this after reading this post.

"your cost of one of our 4 pc. blanks would be about 25% more than you would pay normally. You could purchase this through one of our regular distributors like Mud Hole, Anglers Workshop, Merrick Tackle or Custom Tackle.
Now depending on how much you want to invest you might just want to consider purchasing two whole less expensive import blanks and just use the mid 2 from the 2nd one. You would end up with a few extra pieces you could use for reamers or something."

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:01PM

Dan sells extra sections for $18, and I'm sure an FT would make a sweet spinning rod. Do a search on them and you'll find many reviews (all good from what I remember). There is also good info on the CCS site w/ data for dropped sections on various FTs (top of column on left).

Ray,
Juneau, AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster