I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay single rod dryer - Revisited
Posted by: Dan Nichols (192.195.154.---)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:38AM

I posted earlier about a problem I was having with the Pac Bay single rod dryer. The rod blank slowly works itself out of the chuck and drops to the table. My assumption was that the wheels on the dryer support stand were causing a "cork screw" effect and pulling the rod out of the chuck. Several people replied, saying that had experienced the same issue.

Last night, I finally figured out what is really happening.

The rod must be perfectly "leveled" in the dryer (chuck and support). Otherwise, the butt section will constantly be torqued up and down as the rod rotates. This up and down motion actually "walks" the rod out of the chuck.

I did an experiment. I took a Cabellas rod chuck (the kind that uses rubber bands to hold the rod in place) and mounted it inside the Pac Bay chuck. I then mounted the rod inside the Cabellas chuck and used the Pac Bay wheeled support. I raised and lowered the rod support to change the angle of the rod. No matter how high or low the angle of the rod was, it worked perfectly.

I then removed the Cabellas chuck, mounted the rod directly inside the Pac Bay chuck and repeated the experiment. I was never able to find an angle for the rod that worked. The rod walked out of the chuck in about 45 minutes each time.

It looks like the difference is due to the design of the two chucks. The Cabellas chuck design doesn't hold the rod rigid. The rubber bands pull the rod butt against the base of the chuck, but the rod is able to torque up and down without any negative effect. Conversely, Pac Bay chuck attempts to hold the butt section rigid. If the rod has any up or down motion, the butt slips very slightly in the chuck. The slip is repeated over and over as the rod rotates, resulting in it walking out.

Just wanted to share...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay single rod dryer - Revisited
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 11:24AM

I have been using the Cabela's chuck for years and never had a rod fall out.
I have one of those other chucks and it sits in a box

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 11:39AM

I have a drying motor from Flex Coat and one I got from Neal's Fishing Products. Neither has ever dropped a rod after turning overnight.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:08PM

I cured that problem with the chuck upgrade the wife got me for Christmas.It is much better and does not slip after tighening.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:47PM

The "Cabela's" rod chuck is not theirs it is the Streamside chuck and is available from Mudhole and probably other Board sponsors as well. A bit pricey, but outstanding and should last a lifetime (also has an attachment for inserting right into the blank for multi pc blanks

Mike

Date: October 12, 2005 09:47PM

The "Cabela's" rod chuck is not theirs it is the Streamside chuck and is available from Mudhole and probably other Board sponsors as well. A bit pricey, but outstanding and should last a lifetime (also has an attachment for inserting right into the blank for multi pc blanks)

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 09:55PM

Mike
I found the little thingy slipped of the blanks. So I now use a scrap section with 1/4" tape wrapped around it and the rubber bands. Works better.

Date: October 13, 2005 12:29AM

Bill, Just slide the blank onto the"thingy" and put a piece of masking tape around it and you wont need to mess with the rubber bands on just a blank

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:32AM

Mike
On a two piece butt section on the tip furrel wrap, I did it so I could finish the wrap. With tape on it I can not get to it.
After that it just got to be a habit to do.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 09:12AM

So far of the three wrapper chucks I own, the chuck I got from Janns Netcraft and use on my Grizzley Hobby Lathe works the best and is easy to adjust. Next is the chuck on the dryer from Neal's, and then the chuck on the dryer from Flex Coat (with the hole in the rubber), which is limited in the size of the handle that will fit with ease.

Dan Hogan
The only way to have a friend, is to be one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster