I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Gone???
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:04AM

I was looking for the St. Croix link here and it's missing. Are they no longer sponsors here?? Odd that this is the one place where they would not sponsor a rod building site. This place would have to impact their blank sales more than any other. I was going to ask them directly but I've never seen a contact e-mail addy anywhere on their website. I like their products but IMO this is a bum business decision on their part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Gone???
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:18AM

They did not renew. I don't ask why and won't guess. You'd have to ask them. They're still a good company making a good product.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 10:48AM

The advertising divisions at many companies often do strange things. This is probably one of the strangest I can recall. I do hope they will be at the National Rod Building show in February.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:15PM

While we're on the subject of St. Croix.......The epoxy was cracking on ALL of the guides and the hook keeper on my (less than 1 year old) manufactured Avid dropshot rod, so I decided to strip them off to rewrap. I was surprised.....shocked....dissapointed to see that NONE of the guide feet were prepped. Is this normal, or did I just get one that was made on Friday or Monday??

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 02:08PM

I know all the wrapping is done outside the factory by local wrappers. Not sure if St Croix makes them prep the guide feet or not. But these guys are payed on how quickly they can wrap the rods and get them back to the factory. The faster they get them done, the more they can do and the money they can make.

If you find the service and warranty page on the St Croix site, you will find their address and phone numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2005 02:14PM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 03:07PM

Hope they aren't planning a move to you know where...

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 03:17PM

Mike,

I was going to contact St Croix about this, but then figured I'd do it myself. Now I can set it up to properly match the reel. I'm slowly starting to rewrap all of my factory rods.

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 10:41PM by Scott Hovanec.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 03:38PM

On the flip side - why would they advertise here? If some Marketting Guru looked a tteh numbers pre-.org and during .org, they might not see a diffrence. Plus if they read the boards here, and a lot of teh other interenet message boards, tehy see tehy get a LARGE amount of recomendations, so they get free advertising that way. Why would they pay for that, when the best advertising they could do is having fishermen & rodbuilders tell everyone ehat a great product it is.

Whether a company advertises here or not, that doesn't mean they are good or bad or whatever. TEhy just don't advertise here. If they were good before, great to deal with, etc - tehy will be exactly the same way, at least in teh shrt term, it's not like a switch went off and SC's all of a sudden reek becasue tehy don't advertise on .org.

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 04:19PM

I received the following from StCroix:

St. Croix has not decided to pull sponsorship of Rodbuilding.org. Unfortunately I have not received an invoice for continuation of sponsorship. I will contact Tom Kirkman to resolve this situation. However, it is the responsibility of Rodbuilding.org to send a sponsorship invoice to the proper contact.

Sincerely,

Jeff Schluter
V.P. - Sales & Marketing
St. Croix Rod
Ph: 715-762-3226 ext. 102
Web: www.stcroixrods.com

I hope this helps.

rhr

Date: October 11, 2005 04:24PM

Actually, they did receive an invoice, three to be exact (one was sent to Jeff, one to David and one to Jason, just to be sure someone there saw it). I'm careful to let every sponsor know, 30 days in advance, that it's time for them to renew. It must have slipped through the cracks at their end. It happens sometimes when companies are busy and have a lot going on.

Most sponsors do, in fact, notice a big difference within 48 hours of their link going up on this site. No other rod building site generates more than a fraction of the inquiries and responses that this one does for its sponsors. It's not even close. It would be rare, indeed, for any sponsor here to say that their link does not make a noticeable difference in their business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2005 04:32PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: October 11, 2005 04:55PM

Jeff called me just a bit ago and informed me that they do intend to remain a sponsor here. With all the new product coming out up there the paperwork just got lost in the shuffle.

He also informed me that St. Croix would definitely be in Charlotte for the big National Rod Building Show in February. Jason Brunner will again be on tap to answer your questions about the St. Croix blanks and other rod building products.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: October 11, 2005 08:50PM

Okay, that's all I wanted to know. I just knew it would have been screwy for them not to participate here. At least they got some good brand recognition out of this thread. With 500 views up there now it has sure been one popular topic!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 12, 2005 10:08AM

PS - What I posted was not my opinion, it was a possible "flip side" perspective from a "marketting Guru".

Posted by: John McDaniel (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 12, 2005 01:01PM

A company that's not in the habit of paying their invoices in 30 days, huh? I'll be darned!
(meant to be dripping with sarcasm, and without an emoticon)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2005 04:14PM by John McDaniel.

Date: October 12, 2005 05:31PM

It just got pushed aside and I don't really have time to call and ask around - I wouldn't want anyone to think that St. Croix doesn't pay bills on time (and they didn't "owe" this bill unless they wanted to renew - it's a prepaid sponsoship). I know you're kidding but I don't want anyone thinking that St. Croix is hard to do business with. They're a pleasure.

I understand Billy's scenario was just that, a scenario and it's certainly true in many cases. In this one, however, Jeff said that he recognized what a great value being a sponsor here is. Again, it just got overlooked. No big deal, they'll be back on board in a day or so.

Posted by: John McDaniel (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 04:15PM

Tom,

Sorry if my post could have been misunderstood. I just meant to convey that this all seemed tempest in a teapot stuff. St. Croix is a fine company, but fine companies lose track of invoices/payables all the time. For your part, although I'm sure you'll eventually buy your own island from the proceeds of the magazine and this website (yeah, uh-huh!), I can't imagine you have time to send "last warning" letters, etc. to sponsors all the time.

Date: October 13, 2005 04:51PM

No, I don't. Wish I could, but I don't even have a secretary. I sort of figured you were making a tongue in cheek statement, but you never know how people will take things like that.

If I make enough money off the magazine and this site to buy a bottle of beer once a week, I'll be doing great. None of these things are really operated at a profit. I woldn't apologize if I ever did make a few dollars, but I doubt that will happen anytime in the near future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster