I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair crushed male spigot ferrule end??
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 06:57PM

I was just given a Lamiglass GL 96 5/6 fly rod (2 piece) that has a broken male end on the top section of the rod. The female portion looks fine. How do I go about repairing this? It should make a nice trout stream rod if I can get it fixed.

Thanks

Dean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair crushed male spigot ferrule end??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2005 07:03PM

Two ways to do it. You can inner sleeve the spigot with some thin walled glass tubing. Only danger is that you make the spigot too stiff which can result in more problems. Or, drill out the other end and replace it with a new spigot (this was shown in great detail in a past issue of RodMaker, including how to make a new spigot).

Lamiglas might be able to supply you with a new spigot. Getting the old one out is a matter of center boring on a lathe.

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:24AM

Just drill it out a little at a time. Wrap a cold water soaked rag around the main portion of rod. You need to keep it cool while your drilling out the spigot. I have repaired a bunch of these. Then you need some ferrule material, you can call Lamiglas and they will send you some. Remeber keep everything cool while drilling..

THanks Dave

Date: October 11, 2005 11:01AM

Can I do this on my custom power wrap lathe? I do not have the drilling tail sock attachment, and I do not see how I could spin the top half of the rod anyway to drill it out on a lathe without damaging it. I would think drill with a hand drill would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks

Dean

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 11, 2005 11:32AM

Dean,
Is this a Graphite blank?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: October 11, 2005 05:48PM

Todd,

Yes it is a graphite. I talked to Lamiglas customer service today and they said to send it in, and they would probably swap it for a G1000 fly rod of similar specs for a small fee. It did not sound like they felt it could be fixed. And the model should have read in the first post as GF 96 5/6

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 11, 2005 07:05PM

OK, we quit building blanks with spigot ferrules in the early to mid 80's. I know that the repair department usually will save parts when they have the chance but chances are you will probably end up with something else. You can tell them when they contact you that I said to give you the Appalachian 965 for a replacement.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2005 12:49AM

I use a hand drill.. It's really very easy, just have a good sharp bit.

Thanks Dave

Date: October 13, 2005 07:32AM

Thank you everyone. I will talk to Lamiglas one more time and see about getting a ferrule. Otherwise I will send it in, and thank you Todd for the upgrade offer on the Appalachian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster