I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7ft downrigger rod
Posted by: Jeff Miller (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 08:41PM

Looking for a 1pc 7-7.6ft blank to be used for downrigger fishing. Will probably run 12lb. test. Looking for a slow to moderate action leaning more towards slow than moderate. Checked with Mudhole, they suggested cutting down one of thier house blanks (LSBM963m) what they call Mud Hole Surf Rocket Blanks.

Any other blank sugestions? Would really like to stay at 7ft but will go 7.6 or cut one down if need be. Also must be 1pc.

Did find a blank from Seeker under the heading (Speciality Rod Blanks) stock #200 but Mudhole could not tell me what type of action.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7ft downrigger rod
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 10:30PM

I built a really nice 7" downrigger rod for kokes and trout. It was a two peice but was a very moderate action, ran 4 to 8 lb line. It was a SClll. It was the ONLY moderate action I could find. I'm pretty sure they have a nice selection in the range your looking at.
Murf

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 12:31AM

Forecast SPG 843, FishSticks4U has them. Fantastic price, very nice blanks. In a IM6 graphite blank the Rainshadow CB70M crankbait blank would probably work well. Same Place.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 08:42AM

If you are looking for price the E-Glass blanks may be what your looking for. They are more of a moderate action and at a good price.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: October 10, 2005 06:09PM

Jeff,
are you looking at kokanee type fishing with this rod?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:28AM

Price is somewhat important, but only part of the equation.

I have only built 6 rods to date. Of those only 2 really turned out the way I had hoped. Not so much the looks or at this point anyways the longevity. But I have 4 rods that don't really have the actions I had hoped they would. They all work but 4 of them, to be honest don't seem to be much better than something I could have bought for $50.00 at a tackle store. Sure they look nicer and have better components but thats about all I can say for them. As far as blank prices they ranged from $20.00-60.00.

Some of that may be my fault in that maybe I didn't give the sales people all the information they needed to guide me and maybe they didn't really care all that much. I don't know but this time I'm going to try and improve my research and hopefully find a blank that fits my specific needs better than I have in the past. And hopefully not spending hundreds of dollars on blanks that may be great blanks but not the right blank for my specific need.

So upwards and onwards, get ready for a lot of dum questions.

And I'll admit I've looked through and visited so many websites and catalogs that I've started counting blanks in my sleep.

Okay I'll start with price, under 75.00, I'll even pay another 10.00 to get a white blank. I have one white blank and sure does make thread work stand out.

Action (slow to moderate) I say moderate in that not all company's seem rate action the same. So what is moderate to one may be slow to another and I don't want to eliminate blanks because of that. Slow to me means it bends at least to the lower 3rd of the blank.

Why slow? I have been using Shimano TDR Downrigger rods and they just don't allow me to load up the rod like I want (and anything under 8lb's and I may as well have had a broom stick) I had the the chance to fish with someone who had some slow action light line (10lb) rods and I really liked the way they loaded (bent over) and when a fish was on was a much funner battle than my stiff TDR's. The better bend also gave a better hook-up ratio. Unfortunetly I was not able to find out any information on the rod or blank.

As for 7ft. that just works out better for clearing lines, here in the Midwest we get 3 rods per person, so I usually have 9-12 rods out and I need to get the rods from the front to the transom. So short rods in the back and increase length as I move forward in the boat.

As for 1pc, well I just don't like them and I don't need to worry about a place to store them, such as rod lockers. Kinda like the Ford - Chevy thing.

As for type of fish that will range from, Browns-Lakers-rainbows-coho-kings. More often than not multi species with a few exceptions depending on time of year. Probably average size over the year is around 8lb. Although 15-20lb is not really all that unusuall.

So looking at blanks the Forcast SPG843 seems to have the specs I need, and yes the price is amazing. I also won't loose any sleep buying a product made in China if it meets my needs. I also know price is not always an indicator of quality although more often than not it is, but I have been amazed more than once. So I could look at the 12.00 blank and say what the heck, it's only 12.00 dollars what have a igot to loose? Time building another rod that I will regret. I certianely don't mean to offend Forecast or anyone who recomends thier blanks, but I still get can't get over the price. Hope you understand.

Darn that's a long post, well anything else I should mention?

I really apreciate all the advice and help. Just trying to go from hobby rod to custom rod.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Scary thought I have 12 more rods I need to build, this is going to be an expensive trip and I'm loving everybit of it.

Thanks
Jeff

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 11, 2005 01:57PM

No offense taken on the Forecast Product line. "The Vision Continues" - To Supply Quality products at Reasonable Prices and back it up with Exceptional Customer Service..We have had great success with all of our programs in regards to the Rainshadow/Forecast product lines. If you ever have any questions in regards to the Rainshadow/Forecast products please feel free to contact us or one of our many Authorized Distributors....
Thank you to everyone that supports our program. We are here to support this industry and will for Generations to come...
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises.
Rainshadow/Forecast proiducts
877-875-2381..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster