I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat pumps?
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: October 08, 2005 12:45PM

Does anyone have any expierence with Floxcoat pumps? Sounds like a much better idea than syringes if they are accurate enough?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat pumps?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.187.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 01:52PM

Here check this out -- [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:11PM

I use them for adhesive, but have never trusted them enough for use on finish. Others do use them for that and I've heard nothing other than good results.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:15PM

might want try medicine cups the kind they use in the hospital to give you your drugs.Can pick them up in any pharmacy .Has the dosages right on the side of the cup.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:23PM

I have a set I tried. To use them for finish you need to insure that you get a full and complete pump each time you load the mixing cup
This meant the first pump of the day for each pimp is usually a loss. I went back to using Doc Ski's method of measuring with Test Tubes.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 04:59PM

I like using the adapta caps with the syringes, no mess at all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: October 08, 2005 06:14PM

Terje,

I used them without a problem for about 4 months, never had a finish not set up properly. However the pumps have gummed up, even in the warm climate of Brisbane Australia. I went back to syringes. I have a hole drilled into each cap, that the syringe sits in, no mess just turn the bottle upside down and withdraw the amount of finish you need. Or if you can get adapta caps like Mike S. recomended get them.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 06:18PM

For me the quickest, most accurate method is to drill a small hole in the bottle caps just big enough for the syringe tips to fit in tightly. Turn the bottles upside down and draw the finish out and empty into cup (replace the syringe in the top and draw the plunger up a little).

No mess, no fuss and accurate. When the finish is gone, just transfer the caps/syringes to the next bottle. I have been using the same syringes for well over a year and have never cleaned them (I prefer the syringes withOUT the rubber on the plungers. LS has them)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:43PM

I have been using the pumps for over a year now without any problem. When I get ready to use them I push the plunger slowly unitl I see a drop of finish come out, release the plunger, and push again to get your epoxy delivered. Afterwards I wipe the tips. I have the pumps on the glue and on the finish. I dispense the drops into some empty bottles of finish that I have so that there is no waste.

Posted by: David Green (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 07:28AM

I have been using the pumps for a long time (about 15 years) with no problems I get them from Karen @ Bingham Ent.. I replace them every couple of years. To answer the problem with the next day wasted pump, if you notice when you first open the pump up, you have a half turn you make to get it to release. I just make sure that the last pump I use is depressed and locked, so that the next time I use them I have to unlock it and the epoxy is pulled up into it and there is no waste, no air in the pump head.
Hope this helps...

Tight Wraps
DG Rod Works

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 10:43AM

David:

Thanks. Darn! I knew that, but foegot about it. Always used it with West System Epoxy.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 11:53AM

David,
You just gave the term "lock and load" a new meaning. I too had forgotten to do that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster