I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wooden Handles on Fly Rod
Posted by: Larry Voltz (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:06AM

I have a great opportunity to turn some wooden handles for fishing rods. A friend of mine has been turning wood for years and thought we could combine rod building and wood for a really personal touch.

Has anyone done this? Is there a wood you liked better than others? What considerations should I be looking at? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wooden Handles on Fly Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:13AM

here is a search of this board on wood handles [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:14AM

Take a look on the photo page here. Wood handles on fishing rods is not new - it's been around for a hundred years or more and is still gaining in popularity. Also see the Classic Custom Wood website (link is to the left) and view some of Ray Jorgensen's work.

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 02:46PM

If you want to make an extreamly light weight handle try ...(A grade )contest balsa wood it weighs 4-6 pounds per cubic ft.. It has no grain and looks bland unless stained but will make a feather weight grip if thats what your looking for. C grade balsa 15 lbs per cu ft makes a rugged easy to turn handle. Both types of balsa can be shaped the same as cork with just sandpaper. A balsa handle material cost is under $2.00... Bob.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:45PM

I don't know where you live, but if you live where there are Juniper trees, the big ones, get some. It has a very dense grain, it turns extremely well, is pretty light and it's really very interesting wood. I've found shades of green and shades of red and dark violet along with the normal lighter color. Look on the photo page for some of Stan Grace's work. He uses Juniper all the time.

Posted by: Jon Morris (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:02PM

I have built a number of rods using wood that we turned on my fathers lathe. I was fortunate enough to have a father that was a gunsmith for many years so ther was always a variety of wood types for me to try out. Most of the handles we produced were variations of walnut , but he also had plenty of maple around. Any walnut can be good, looks beautiful with an oil finish, but French walnut can be spectacular. If you start with a flat piece of wood, i.e, old gun stock, keep in mind that when a piece of wood is turned to produce a handle and/or wood insert some of the "figure" that you loved so much will be gone when the wood is rounded. BTW, I love wooden handles and if you've never used one before don't let anyone convince you that they add excessive weight or are slippery when wet. I used a gun stock oil finish(Birchwood Casey) and it makes protects the wood and actually provides for a nice grip. Never have to worry about mud and slime penetrating either, just wipe it off and its always like new. Good Luck.

Posted by: Larry Voltz (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 07:49PM

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have some birdseye maple that I'm going to try for my first handle. I'll try to send a post when I get it finished!

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: October 10, 2005 04:15PM

I'm fond of Walnut, all the rosewoods, and Osage Orange. Bubinga can also be really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster