I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Site Online
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2005 08:33AM

The Common Cents System website is now live. I still have a few changes to make, but for the most part it's entirely functional now.

You can reach it via the link at the top of the sponsor column (Common Cents Info) or by using this URL:

www.common-cents.info

There is no charge to download and use any of the articles. Enjoy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Site Online
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 08:36AM

Thank you Tom

Posted by: Brad Lee (69.158.118.---)
Date: October 08, 2005 09:52AM

Thanks Tom and Dr. Hanneman for making this information public.
As a beginner rod builder, this is far more convenient than trying to find all the past RodMaker issues that fully describe the concept.
It will also be handy in helping to choose less costly blanks that match the "action" I'm looking for in a blank. Later, when I get better at this, I'm sure it will also help in choosing more expensive blanks. I've had problems in the past choosing blanks to build on using the advice of some dealers; what they describe as moderate-fast is very fast in my opinion (I'm a beginner rod builder, but have been fly fishing for about 20 years). Looking forward to reading the series.

Brad

Date: October 08, 2005 09:57AM

It's not at all inconvenient to "find" the RodMaker issues that contained the original articles. All you have to do is just go to the back issue page and order them. I know putting this information online and for free, will hurt the magazine very much. And in turn, it will hurt this site (the magazine helps to subsidize this site). I'll have to cut back and may not be able to add any new features for quite some time. But Dr. Hanneman has long wanted this information to get out to the general fishing public and this is the only way to do it. So, there it is. I think it will be a worthwhile tool for the fishing industry in general.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:05AM

Dr. Hanneman has done the fishing world a great favor, at least for those who find this sort of thing helpful. I certainly have. You are to be commended for spending your money to make this valuable information available to the public at large. My only hope is that you are a good enough businessman to know when to stop giving away information for free. The public is quick to take what you give them and then they begin to feel they are somehow entitled to it. If you give away enough so that the magazine and this site begin to suffer, then everyone will eventually lose in the long run. Your decisions in the past all seem to have panned out fine so I will reserve judgement on this latest gift to the rod builders and fishermen. I do thank you and the good doctor for bringing this system to all of us.

Date: October 08, 2005 10:14AM

I am aware of the tendency for people to feel they are entitled to things once you've provided them with something often enough. However, the goal here was to get a greater number of fishermenn using the system so that it might one day be adopted as the standard in rod measurement systems. The only way to do that was to make it easily accessible, and at no charge.

The amount of information contained in RodMaker dwarfs what I have offered on the internet at no charge and that will not change. RodMaker subscribers will always have a leg up, rod building information-wise, on non-subscribers. But I think this site and its related features are nice for the general craft to have so that there is at least some place where they won't be charged for a reasonable measure of good information.

Posted by: Brad Lee (69.158.118.---)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:45AM

Tom,

Don't get me wrong on my message. I fully appreciate the information being offered both online and through a RodMaker subscription. I have tried to make inquiries through the magazine distributor in Canada but all e-mails and phone messages have gone unanswered. In fact, after talking to you last week, I now know that I'm three issues behind on my current paid-up subscription. I am at a loss both on the subscription cost for a year's worth of the magazine and access to past issues.
The Common Cents system is a method of that is commonly used here and I'm sure others will pick it up as it is now more accessible.

Brad

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:58AM

I just printed the "Rosetta Stone" from the new Site. It is crisp and clear even looking through well worn eyes.
Thank you, Tom and Dr. Bill! ...... You are living examples of positive people in a chaotic world!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 01:16PM

Tom,
In my judgement you have done a really excellent job with the new CCS site and I would like to add my thanks to the others to both you and Bill Hanneman.
This will no doubt cost you in the short run but custom rodmaking will be improved by making this information so easily available to all custom rod makers and it is my hope that you will be rewarded in the long run.
Thanks again

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 07:23PM

Great addition to the board. Tom and Dr. Hanneman deserve a big thank you from everyone. It is really nice not to have to search through a bunch of papers to find the information, I seem to foreget where I put something when I most need it, now it is all avilable at the touch of a key.

Thanks...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 08:52PM

Dr. Hanneman has developed a great system. I use it every week and run every new blank I get in through it. I also inscribe every rod I build with the DBI now. It's fantastic.

I have all the articles but can see the worth of this new site for the average fisherman or anyone outside of rod building that may not have heard of it before. Hard to say what impact this will have but I think it may be huge. May take a while but in a year or so we'll know for sure. I won't be surprised if it's hot as a firecracker in many fishing circles before long.

What is being done with the magazine, this site, the new CCS site,the rod builders show and that sort of stuff has resulted in more evolution in the rod building hobby than at any time in the past 100 years. Or at least in my lifetime. I do feel like I'm living in the real golden age of rod building. We've never seen this sort of shared information before and I kind of get the feeling that we may never see it again.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:24PM

Nothing more that I can add except THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster