I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using boiling water and steam to remove epoxy and guides
Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 07:52PM

Today I had to remove the windings from a cracked rod. I found it a drag to stand around with a hot air paint striper softening epoxy. So I boiled up a pot of water and set the guide to be removed over the water and let the steam soften the epoxy. Ferrule sections I dropped into the pot and let them soak for 5 minutes. Either way I was very happy with the ease the epoxy simply peeled away. Final cleanup was to steam the blank then rub the area agressively with terry cloth. In 5 minutes time I had a blank looking new again... ???Will heating graphite blanks in boiling water cause internal damage???... Thankyou
Bob
Bridgeton, NJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using boiling water and steam to remove epoxy and guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:41PM

Possibly. Anything much over 200 degrees is getting you close to the danger zone. Most graphite blanks will begin to soften and delaminate at much over 250. Boiling water shouldn't reach that kind of temp (unless you're at a very extreme altitude) so it's often deemed to be safe, but I have to wonder what the point is.

I find it easier to shave the thread off the top of the guide foot and then pop the guide off and peel the thread from the blank. Takes about 30 seconds or so, maybe. How long is your method taking? I'm not sure I see any advantage to using heat. I could see going back and using a little heat to remove any small specks of epoxy left, but that's about it.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 09:04PM

Keep it low and slow..........even steam causes 2nd degree burns on skin ....(that I know!)

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 10:27AM

I like Ken Preston's method. Pass an alchol flame over the Guide feet enough to warm the Epoxy, then cut the thread off the top of the feet and pull the Guide off. The wrapping is the pulled of and the rod cleaned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster