I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glitter in finish epoxy
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:33AM

Anybody here use glitter in their epoxy? I was looking at a custom rod by guy from Georgia and it looks like he used very small flakes of glitter. I reckon to make it a little more flashy. Just wondering if anybody else does that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glitter in finish epoxy
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:40AM

I've done it. There is glitter which is like fine powder which I was given by a friend in NYC - I have a small amount of Pearl. You cannot see teh flakes, all you can see is the small amount of flash. Personally, I do not like it, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who do like it.

The finer the glitter, the better it will look. imo.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 11:51AM

I once added some glitter to a finish and it simply dissolved. Test a small batch first.

Date: October 07, 2005 11:54AM

Dissolved is good, it probably gave a neat sheen to teh epoxy once applied. If not, you didnt mix enough maybe?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 12:11PM

Never thought of that. I guess I needed to take two wraps into the sunlight and compare.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 12:46PM

I use it all the time....I get it from Mudhole. they have several colors and I have all of them LOL I have never had any problems with it...Remember when you mix it in with your flexcoat...A little goes a long way..... I didn't know what the stuff was either till someone on this forum turned me on to it....Your post makes me wonder if I am that guy from georgia.....LOL

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 01:42PM

Been using the stuff since the early 80's, back then all we could get was the automotive flake which was pretty big compared to what we can get now. It's a personal thing, some people like it, some people don't. Jesse

Posted by: larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 02:45PM

Glitter is cool!! try different color backgrounds with the glitter top coat. the finner the glitter the better. some glitter can be had at craft stores always try to get the finest (smallest) & a little goes a long way.
Good luck
Larry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 02:50PM

Works Great! Get the Ultra Fine from a craft store. Personally, I don't care for the bigger stuff but the Ultra Fine is darn near powder. A very little goes a LONG way! As usual, try a bit on scrap to see how much you prefer to add.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 07, 2005 04:04PM

Steve - teh craft store stuff is Ok, but there is MUCH finer than that if you search. I got mine from a friend frm a Specilty paint store, adn someone else sent me some that was so much finer than anything I've ever seen before - it looked like chalk almost.

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.177.182.---)
Date: October 07, 2005 05:29PM

I also have used it. But it looks almost like dust got into your finish unless you are out in bright sunlight. Ed

Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 06:19PM

I always use a small amount of fine glitter when I mix my epoxy never have I had to use heat to remove bubbles glitter seems to solve that problem. I just use the color of my guide wraps.

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.inwave.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 06:29PM

Several of my students liked to use glitter (the really fine stuff) when they marbled. It looked good when they used glitter in only one of the colors. Like base coat of clear with glitter and maybe red without glitter.
If the red is used sparsley and a good amount of clear base is exposed, I think it gives good results.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 07:10PM

Its good stuff to have in an arsenal of options....you'd be surprised how many people will buy a rod with a bit of "Fairy Dust" added to it..

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 07:28PM

Didn't know that many people were using it.

Steve...It was a guy named BillyStix that I saw using it. I think he's from Georgia.

Might have to try it.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 09:32PM

I have use it on several occasions. I just finished a rod with orange glitter and the particle size was way too big. A royal mess. Just make sure the glitter is extremely fine. I have had excellent results when I use very fine glitter. Anyone know a source for very fine orange glitter?

Ed

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.82.156.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 01:10AM

I've used it now and then too. Personally, I really like how it looks, but wouldn't put it on anything of my own. Not really my style, even though I like a lot of flash.

I've had the best luck with not putting it into the finish. When I've mixed it into the finish, it was always hard for me to get a consistent look. I like to use low build, then as it's drying, drift a pinch of glitter over it to control where it goes and how much. Another coat of low build after it's dry and that's it.

Ed, try a Michael's if you have one in your area. If not, try a hobby shop or even a beauty salon.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2005 07:58AM

several years ago Bass Pro was big on glitter in their rod wraps, I got a lot of repairs in on their rods and in order to match the eyes I went to the craft store and bought glitter pens. These are squeeze tubes with glitter and a clear gel glue mixed. I put the glitter directly on the wraps and when it had dried overnight I epoxied my wraps over them. Worked then , and still use it for some fancy bass rods.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 09, 2005 12:04AM

In "Re: Glitter in finish epoxy", Steve Parks wrote [Oct. 7, 2005 07:28PM]: "It was a guy named BillyStix that I saw using it. I think he's from Georgia." - Steve Parks.

"BillyStiX" is BILLY McDANIEL. He is right here in GAINESVILLE FLORIDA, (not the Gainesville in GEORGIA). If you have the recent SUMMER MOON ROD WORKS Catalog, the cover photograph is a gallery of ten BillyStiX butt wraps. He is at [www.flanaturecoast.com] BillyStiX has been busy rod-building for about 30 years now. And I've had the pleasure of his acquaintance for about the last 20 years.

I've seen some of his glitter finishes - very nice, very eye-catching. But it is easy to imagine that, if you're not careful, adding too much glitter would cloud over the thread work, rather than accent it. IMO, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Posted by: Matthew Birge (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2005 08:51PM

flex cote makes a ireridesent finish kit for rod wraps and jigs that comes with 4 different color flakes but i didnt care for the stuff myself

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster