I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My first strip and refinish job, questions...
Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 08:43PM

I'm about to rebuild the first fly rod I ever made. I was not happy with it, and wasn't using it because of the poor job I did. My question is, after stripping the rod and sanding it, there will be some small imperfections in the surface, I can already see. Will a couple coats of rod finish fill these in any? I don't expect the finish to be as nice as original, but I would at least want to make it decent.

Also, I used 5-minute epoxy on the reel seat. What's the safest way to remove it? I want to save the cork handle. Can I just cut it off and make an extension from inside the blank under the handle, using a piece of old blank?

Any advice is certainly welcome and appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My first strip and refinish job, questions...
Date: October 06, 2005 08:50PM

Ummm, I got the info on the reel seat. "Search" works great! ;o)

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 08:50PM

DON'T CUT IF OFF. wrap the reel seat in a bagie and place it in boiling water untill it heats up. the five minute epoxy should let go and you should be able to pull the reel seat off. if that does not do it heat it them cool it down in a bucket of ice. alternate. that should do the job.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:04PM

Dave,
Check the Library section for refininshing. Also I would avoid sanding at all if you can. Too easy to sand
to much!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 06, 2005 09:28PM

DAVE - A very extensive discussion of this very subject on rod blank re-finishing was just Posted (and is now coming to a natural conclusion). Make sure you read it, and especially the Links to the 2 Ralph O'Quinn (ROQ) articles contained therein. Your rod blank - Is it Fiberglass or Graphite? Keep that in mind as you read ROQ. Then bring back your more specific and lingering questions here to your Thread, and you'll be on your way. Pay attention to what your are doing, and think ahead by reading ahead some, and you will be fine, Dave. Check it out: [www.rodbuilding.org] Best Wishes, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Date: October 07, 2005 05:57AM

Thanks, Cliff. Good info in that thread.

As I'm chipping away at the old epoxy on the wraps, some of it just doesn't want to come loose, specifically the edge that contacts the blank. Is there anything I can use to help the removal?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 08:48AM

Dave you can apply a bit of heat from a hair dryer and use the edge of a plastic knife to remove that stubborn finish.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 07, 2005 09:11AM

Also read Ralph O'Quinn's article in the the library above.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 07, 2005 10:19AM

"BULLSEYE" for Doug Moore's/TCRods advice. -CMH+++

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.9.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2005 07:21PM

Cliff

Went back to the thread you mentioned. Read what Ralph said about the LS.
Now i have to clean off a scrap blank and test it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster