I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another CP problem
Posted by: Rusty Hodnett (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:43AM

I just finished my underwraps on a stand-up rod(my first) and applied FlexCoat color preserver to the first wrap. It looks like crap; splotchy, uneven finish. I suppose I'll have to re-wrap the one. At least I didn't do all 6. Any suggestions? I did not thin the preserver since the label said that wasn't necessary. This was probably a result of something I did wrong, but I'll be wary of using FlexCoat cp again .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another CP problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:50AM

There is nothing wrong with Flex Coat CP - if it caused that sort of thing, they couldn't sell it and it would have been taken off the market 20 years ago.

What is your application procedure? How are you applying it? What color thread and what color blank? Most splotches are the result of poorly packed threads. Look at it under magnification and see if those splotches aren't areas where the blank is now showing through between threads that aren't packed together.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:52AM

What do you mean by splotchy? Do you have dark spots or areas that look as if the thread did not soak up the CP?

If you have dark spots, take a magnifying glass and take a close look at your wrap. You will most likely find you have not packed/burnished tight enough and are seeing the darker blank between the individual threads.

If it appears you have not completely covered the wrap with CP, then next time, try really soaking the wrap and give it a couple of minutes to soak in. After the wrap has absorbed all it can, use your brush to whisk away the remaining CP and allow to dry.

Hope this helps.

Also, what thread are you using?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 11:20AM

#3 for not tightly packed thread

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 11:31AM

I had the same problem with yellow nylon thread .CP'D the thread thought I was good to go.Had a bleed thru. Didn't pack the threads tight enough.Another trick is to put magic marker on the guide foot this helps to hide the bright foot color.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 11:56AM

Ya see...all these cp nightmares have made me go to councilling.

"Hi! My name is Steve and I'm a Color Preserver Phobic"

I have never tried cp because of so many horror stories I heard about using it. They should just make more shades of NCP threads! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2005 11:56AM by Steve Parks.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:25PM

The fault of CP is the User more than anything. If you know what you are doing it works just fine. If I cannot pack my guide wraps tight enough fo rthe CP to work - I can either blame CP, or figure out an alternative. I'm not going to blame the CP for my inadequacies...all it takes is one person getting good results to prove teh CP isnt' at fault.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2005 01:09PM

Steve,

Very, very few people have problems with CP. Millions of people over the past few years have used it successfully, perhaps a couple thousand have had problems. Keep in mind that internet forums are rarely for people who want to report successes - they're for people who are having problems. So, that's what you see on them. Don't let it cloud the reality, which is that most people don't have any problems using CP.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 01:27PM

Rusty, How long did you leave the color preserver on before cutting it off. Was it dry all the way.? Sometimes it takes a little longer to dry and return the thread to color. If you let it dry a good long time then check you packing like everyone has said. I use Flex coat CP all the time on everything and have never had these problems.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 04:05PM

Another problem that can cause this type of situation is not cleaning the blank before wrapping. of course the biggest reason for this situation is not tightly packing or burnishing the wrap before adding CP.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:14PM

I agree with Billy V.
User error is the biggest problem with C.P. usage. I am guilty of this as well. Read The Lable!
When using Flex-Coat C.P. I had a problem with not paying attention and touching the wraps
with my hands after it dried and caused some white cloudiness to appear. So I blamed the
product and switched to Gudebrod 811 which is thicker but applies clear and does not fog
when touched after it dries. However, the 811 has the problem of setting up to fast causing
it to gell. Also, you can still leave finger prints if you are not carefull
Reading the LABLES would have saved me from some of the bad experiances and
doing a search and asking questions here would have saved me from the rest!
The products are what they are and one cannot expect them to do what they are supposed
to unless one READS AND FOLLOWS THE DIRECTINS!! Heck, I read the lable of the 811 and
still did not remember that you can thin it with DENATURED ALCOHOL until Billy V. pointed it out!! LOL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rusty Hodnett (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 02:45PM

Thanks for all the input! I alluded to the fact that it was probably user error, and I'm convinced that's the problem. (Actually I thought that all along) I think the problem is that the threads are not packed tightly enough. Back to the drawing board.......or rod wrapper, as the case may be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster