I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Motor Rod Attachment?
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 09:11AM

How do you attach your rod blank with grips and freshly glued guides to a drying motor? Is there a homemade jig out there I can make? The motor is a slow small motor and stand I bought from Cabelas that has just a nipple on the motor sticking out. What do you use?
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Motor Rod Attachment?
Posted by: matthew birge (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 09:59AM

what i use is a 2 1/2" pipe cap and 3 "i" bolt
take the cap and drill three holes in the pipe so that you can tap them and tread the bolts through them, then there maybe a threadt hole on the end of the nub you where mentioning you can drill a hole in the center of the cap to bolt it to the motor
i can send you picks if you would like

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:07AM

Please do. I can't comprehend exactly what it looks like.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:38AM

Look at the photos section and look under equipment and tools. There are a few different chucks that could be used for this. I think Cabelas even has one that uses rubberbands that should be able to mount to the motor you have.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:55AM

Dale I have the small motor too with the little nipple-shaft. The shaft has a thin ,level plane cut out of it. I have shaped a slice of a popsickle stick that is slightly wider and about twice the length of the the metal shaft. I then cut thin strips of electric tape and secure the stick to the shaft. I can then lay the tip of the rod on this shaft and easily mask it securely. You may want to make several of the popsickle extensions and experiment with which width and length works best for you. Hint.... I also taper the rod end of the stick so the last strip of masking tape has a good bite on the thin rod blank. The only time this ever came loose was when I used some cheap masking tape. Live and learn! Good building!?!

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:28PM

The 'Streamside Designs Rod Chuck' is the best way I've found to hold a rod for drying. Get one, go to Office _____ , get a rubber band ball and you're set. Well, attach it to the drying motor,use 2 rubber bands to secure the rod and you're set. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 10:17AM

Had a similar problem to work out a few years ago. Went to the hardware store looking for some ideas and came up with a great solution. I found two steal brackets that are used to hold a broom or whatever to the wall. They are roughly "U" shaped with about a 1-1/4" gap. I took two of them, one inside the other rotated 90 degrees. Drilled a whole through them and ran a mounting screw through them. The "jaws" are adjustable and it runs perfectly straight on my motor, cost maybe $5.00.

Jim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 12:27PM

Jim's sounds like a great idea! Have to try it. It's a little pricey but I really like the streamside chuck which also has a tapered threaded attachment for attaching just blan pieces. Really nice set up that should last a lifetime.

[www.mudhole.com] [www.mudhole.com]

Mike

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: October 06, 2005 01:58PM

Ralph,
What is a Streamside Rod Chuck? I think I understand the principles of the rubber bands,
just not sure what the Streamside Rod Chuck is?
Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2005 02:07PM

Dave, click on the 2 links in my reply right above and you will see pix of it!!

Mike

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (68.220.228.---)
Date: October 06, 2005 06:08PM

Thanks, Mike. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Barry Philpot (---.pb.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:58PM

I just completed my rod drying station using a rotissere motor. I used the four prong skewer with rubber bands across the ends as a chuck to hold the rods. Works really well and is very quick change and will adjust to any size. I built my first rods back in the early seventies but got away from it until about a month ago.

Great website!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster