I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Durability
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:22PM

I'm planning the layout for a Breakaway 1387 surf rod. A split grip makes a lot of sense to me but I wonder if the exposed butt section is liable to be damaged. I have not seen any mention of exposed blanks suffering damage. Is it a problem? I know that a decorative thread wrap will provide some protection. Are other methods used to protect this area; perhaps metal tubing,or another blank section? The wrap would conceal the protective layer and the tube would not have to add much weight. Is this a viable concern or am I making a big deal over a non-issue?
Thanks for the input.
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Durability
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:32PM

Is teh exposed blank betwen guides a problem? Why would teh butt be a problem, when teh butt is thicker down there?

If you are using a metal rod holder, teh back of teh front grip runs the risk of being severly chewed up...I found this out the hard way. It depends how far down teh rod goes though, if the blank or butt wrap leans on teh edge of teh rod holder, it will get scratched & chewed up as well.

For a surf rod, I guess rocks might be a concern, if that's teh case - put a layer of cork tape in between, I think that'sll keep you safe

Posted by: Skip James (---.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:38PM

Heat shrink tubing works very well also.

Date: October 04, 2005 02:58PM

Billy,
I only use PVC for sand spikes of the proper length to prevent damage to the blank. The concerns came to mind only because I have no experience with split grips. I am very careful with the way I handle rods while fishing and in transit. Just wanted to find out if there were special dangers with this set up that I had to take into account.
Thanks for the advice, Bill and Skip.
Dave

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.sleh.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 03:36PM

Hey Dave-

I have not built many surf rods (about a half dozen) and they don't have more than a couple of years' worth of wear on them, but based on my experience you do need to protect the butt between the split grip with something even when using a PVC sand spike (not to mention fishing from a rock jetty). I find that normally I am in a hurry to get that rod (and screaming reel) out of the holder and I am not always ginger or totally controlled. But I guess that is what night fishing from the beach is all about.

I have not found cork tape - even a double layer of cork tape - to be durable enough to satisfy me. But, I do think you want something fairly inexpensive and easy to work with so that you can replace it every few years without a huge hassle. I have started using polyester / nylon cord - as recommended in the RM Surf Rod article - to wrap the area between the butt and rear grip (or butt and reel seat if no rear grip is used). The cord I use is sold as utility cord and can usually be found anywhere climbing and backpacking supplies are sold (REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, etc.).

I prep the blank with Scotchbrite, smear the portion of the blank to be covered with a very thin coat of Rod Bond, and then wrap the cord over the bare blank like a guide wrap. I then match / color coordinate the threadwork to the cord. This stuff comes in about a million colors so if you are willing to do some shopping you have lots of options. So far, these nandles have turned out very durable and attractive in my opinion. I find the 2 mm and 3 mm sizes to be the most useful. It obviously varies by butt diameter, but each 5" of wrapped blank requires about 6 to 8 linear feet of 3mm cord. 70 feet of cord is enough to cover most butts I have come across, but if I've learned anything it's order more than you think you need.

I hope that makes sense. Email me if you have questions or need pictures. Good luck!

Bill

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 04:01PM

Dave, I set up spit grip surfrods with PVC sand spikes in mind. One rear 6 " grip(butt) one 4" behind the Reel seat, and one 2" between just to protect the blank where it meets the top of the sand spike...kind of a "double split grip" with function and $avings on cork....it works though

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:16PM

Dave:

I have one surf rod with a split grip that is 14 years old with lots of use. No problem with the bare blank between the grips. I used EVA and have had no problems with the grip nor the bare blank. Wax it up a couple of times a year and it comes out looking great. Of course, I a use PVC Sand Stake cut to length with all edges rounded.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:44PM

Dave,

Sort of a dumheaded response here (maybe I'm missing something), but if you don't worry about the blank being "exposed" above the grip, why would you be concerned about it being exposed within the grip?

Bilgee

Date: October 05, 2005 02:35AM

Thanks to all for the great input. I like the nylon utility cord idea. I'll have to get some and see how it feels. I might use it for a full length grip. My concern for possible damage to the exposed butt area is due partly to the use of a sand spike as well as climbing rock jetties or having a sinker hit it by accident. Then there are the unexpected hazards; like something falling on that part. The fact that the upper portion of a rod is usually not near the ground spares it from many dangers.
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:35AM

TEH only thing I would worry about is teh jetties - if a sinker is going to hit the blank, it will hit it above teh foregrip before it hits anywhere else- I don't even see how it's possible to hit all teh way down there, unless you're inventing new casts, lol. TEh bottom of the blank is the thickest, doesn't bend, and is the easiest to replace if broken - I'm sure it could handle a good beating. But for the jetties, I'd cover it with something.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:46PM

One other material that I've seen used is the Safe-T Walk tape manufactured by 3M. Similar in application of cork tape, it has a rubberized surface for lack of a better description. It comes in 1-inch wide lengths in gray and black I think. Not sure about thickness but I know Loomis has, and may still, use it on some of their surf rods. Here is a picture from the old photo site that shows what it looks like.....

[www.fishingphotos.net]

I've seen this stuff at West Marine before if you want to give a try.....

Bret

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 01:03PM

The different colors are different grades of teh material. One grade is like sandpaper & people have had it hurt their hands, and wear through their waders when fighting a fish, or plugging with teh rod between their legs. The other material, I believe it is the grey stuff - is very popular and I am pretty sure what Loomis uses or used on their surf rods.

Date: October 05, 2005 05:28PM

The Loomis 1266S I have has the dark gray 3M product covering the handle and fore grip. It provides a very good grip and holds up well. After three years of use the only sign of age is that the spiraling edge of the material has faded in coloration. It is barely noticable and in no way compromises the wrap's integrity. This material is still somewhat course on my bare hands. I usually wear fingerless gloves, but a softer finish would be welcome.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster