I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split grips - cork or EVA?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:09PM

Every time I discover something new to me on this sight, I have to build one. Now I'm going to have to build a spinning rod with a rear split grip design - I'll think of a reason why later.

I have two questions: when would one want to use EVA instead of cork?
And does a split rear grip pose more balance issues on spinning rods in the
8 1/2' range and up? I assume one might cheat the reel seat a bit more forward up the blank to help improve the balance instead of adding lead weight in the butt? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split grips - cork or EVA?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:20PM

EVA foam is lighter and cheaper than cork. However, it is not as durable. It dents, scratches and rips more easily, so I wouldn't use it on a rod that'll see a lot of heavy use, or rod holders.

As for the split grip, the reduction in weight is almost negligibly small with EVA. There is more of difference when using cork, burl cork, composite cork or wood, in that order. On an 8 1/2' rod, the handle length will often be long enough to balance, provided you use the lightest guide setup possible. You'll definitely use less material for the handle if you use the split grip: less reaming, gluing and shaping.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:01AM

I strongly believe that its mostly a matter of personal preference when deciding between EVA and Cork!
Personally I like cork but I just finished building a split grip casting rod for a customer that wanted EVA and I will say that it looks really nice! I also have built them using colored eva, woodgrain look eva etc.
I also just saw a split grip built with camo mooseskin material that looked really interesting!

So go with what you like!! I will add that using metal winding checks with split grips really adds alot of class to the entire rod!

Russ

Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (---.idnet.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 05:28AM

I've had a number of rods built with abreviated EVA handles and I have to say that I love them. They have all been in the 6' - 6'6" range, in both casting & spinning configurations.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 05:33AM

Of course build whatever looks better. EVA's colours and grain combinations make for a lot of possibilities, especially with trims. The EVA with metal checks looks very sweet, I agree.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:14AM

With Rod holders EVA is a better choice than COrk, as cork will get destroyed getting banged around way before EVA. EVA is much more durable than Cork.

I always though Cork was lighter than EVA, but there isn't much of a difference to matter. I'd use whatever you like, cork or EVA. Some fishing applications I like cork, others warrant teh use of Foam.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: October 04, 2005 09:16AM

EVA is a heck of a lot easier to work with than cork...

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 09:49AM

im doing a steelhead rod for myself right now blue and black grain eva split grip its alot warmer to the hand as i like fish the river as far into winter as i can... matched up with amtac's blue reel seat ....silver guides and blue rings and nickel checks and blue and white marble ooooooooooooooooooo cant wait to start

Date: October 04, 2005 09:50AM

im doing a steelhead rod for myself right now blue and black grain eva split grip its alot warmer to the hand as i like fish the river as far into winter as i can... matched up with amtac's blue reel seat ....silver guides and blue rings and nickel checks and blue and white marble ooooooooooooooooooo cant wait to start

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: October 04, 2005 11:19AM

Rob,

Great minds must think alike. I'm now doing a 9' spinner for near-shore -- matte black blank, blue (not grained) eva split grip, amtac's blue reel seat and TiCh guides with the blue rings. No nickel checks though, just black nylon. I plan to wrap in metallic blue with a metallic trim also, but I'm not sure yet whether I'll be using white or silver for the trim. Have the handle done and the guides started, and the mock-up of the finished product looks absolutely fantastic!

Bilgee

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: October 04, 2005 12:29PM

Cork, Cork, Cork!. Also, did I mention Cork?

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:10PM

I would tend to agree with the thought that EVA is more durable for use in rodholders, etc. Not sure it it's warmer though - might be a personal preference thing on that one. I have not built an EVA gripped rod yet - but I'd like to start playing around with it. I have not built many rods, but I can tell you that I doubt I'll ever build myself another straight handled rod - I'm sure they will all be split grips, they look cool, and perform well. Also, I doubt I'll build simple grips - I love the look of layered materials, burl and regular cork, trim rings, etc. Try mating cork and EVA together - there are some cool examples of that stuff in the photo gallery.

Date: October 04, 2005 01:34PM

eva absorbs were your hand is placed nine out of ten when drift fishing some guys tend to hold on the upper grip eva stays warm with hand in place in my experiance.. i fish right through ice out on are rivers it does help but i do like my cork dont get me wrong....... hey bil sounds good ive been toying with ideas for a month with mine been so busy havent had time to do it till this week i went with a matte grey blank cobalt blue wraps with blue mettalic trims over marble is what i went with first time using amtac's guides and reel seat i figured what better way to try them out then on steelhead.....tight wraps crabtree's custom rods

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:51PM

I also fish when it's below freezing, when teh grip is wet and frozen from teh boats spray, when it's "slushy", when there is frozen crab gook on teh grip. IMO, I found Hypalon is a much better grip than EVA in this situation, as for wahtever reason teh Ice/slush/slippery mess doesnt' form on teh grip the way it does with EVA. As a result, all my Fall/Winter rods (for Blackfish) I now build with EVA butt grips, and Hypalon foregrips, as I rarely ever hold teh butt grip when fishing. Teh Hypalon is quite heavy though, but using it as a foregrip only the weight isn't noticeable. honestly, when it is 25 degrees and blowing 20-25NE, nothing is noticeable, lol.

If you guys are building teeny weeny rods out WEst for Steelhead/Salmon drift boat fishing, Hypalon is not a choice because of weight (imo), but if the rods are a bit heavier, say 20-30#, I would suggest giving Hypalon a test out on an inexpensive blank to see if it works for you.

As far as trim rings go, Hypalon on hypalon trim rings glue up much better than EVA on EVA - but there ain't muhc of a color choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster