I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rec Recoil Guides?
Posted by: Tim O'Brien (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 04:01PM

I know this question has been asked a million times on this board, but I am going to ask one more time. I am building a 6wt Sage TCR and am curious if the Recoil snakes will increase my performance. I am aware of the added noise that comes with them, but all I am interested in is if these guides will increase distance and maybe even accuracy. I would appreciate any real advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rec Recoil Guides?
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 06:37PM

Wire is never better than ceramics in a 6 weight. The Recoil single foot should add performance over the double foot. The idea that they are noisy is a myth. Go with ceramics, titanium frames if you are concerned about weight.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:51AM

Hi Don
I have both a factory #6 TCR and have built a custom of the same rod using recoils.Personally i didnt find any great performance advantage,not in the distance the line cast or in the line speed,however the rod did feel a tad crisper in the action (custom rod).I did however use the factory rod as a guide for ring spacings and feel that if i had followed the static guide placement then that in itself would have made the difference,
Which in turn leaves another question for another post ,how would sage react in the USA regarding custom guide placements,its a little contensuos here in the UK to say the least.

Bryan

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 09:19AM

Haven't had many Sage rods break, but Sage has never had a problem with guide placement or type on any of the blanks I've returned.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:47PM

Bryan, I had assumed that the question was one of snakes versus ceramics. But I would think substituting recoil SFs would offer a slight advantage over factory DFs, as you found. I would correct the factory guide placement if static testing indicated that it was way off. Good place to start, however.

Posted by: Tim O'Brien (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 03:54PM

I am building this rod and all I am interested in learning is if Recoils snakes and stripping guides are worth trying on the 6wt. This will be a saltwater rod for bones and reds.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 04:21PM

Tim
If I were to build a TCR 6 wt for myself, today, I would go with the most efficient solid Ti framed single foots with 2 matching double foot strippers. These have the hardest, fastest, most eternal rings in them, forever groove free and corrosion proof even in salt.

Salt is very abrasive. I myself wouldn't rely on the RECoils in the salt, not for the long haul.

REGARDLESS of the fact that RECoil snakes are the lightest things out there (which they are), the NiTi is too soft for the harsh salt environment.

BUT if you're happy to have to rewrap this rod eventually and you simply want the crispest TCR on the ocean, go with the RECoil heavy-wire single foot snakes.

I get a lot of feedback from customers about the squeaking of their RECoils and I have to say it embarrasses me a little. Squeaking means friction. BUT Recoils fill a very important niche. They are great for the littlest fly rods and freshwater fly rods in general that you want as light and as crisp as possible.

I could go on and on, but I hope this helps.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: October 04, 2005 04:21PM

Tim
If I were to build a TCR 6 wt for myself, today, I would go with the most efficient solid Ti framed single foots with 2 matching double foot strippers. These have the hardest, fastest, most eternal rings in them, forever groove free and corrosion proof even in salt.

Salt is very abrasive. I myself wouldn't rely on the RECoils in the salt, not for the long haul.

REGARDLESS of the fact that RECoil snakes are the lightest things out there (which they are), the NiTi is too soft for the harsh salt environment.

BUT if you're happy to have to rewrap this rod eventually and you simply want the crispest TCR on the ocean, go with the RECoil heavy-wire single foot snakes.

I get a lot of feedback from customers about the squeaking of their RECoils and I have to say it embarrasses me a little. Squeaking means friction. BUT Recoils fill a very important niche. They are great for the littlest fly rods and freshwater fly rods in general that you want as light and as crisp as possible.

I could go on and on, but I hope this helps.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: October 04, 2005 04:28PM

Sorry to post twice Tim.
The RECoil strippers are super light but, again, not that slick for line shooting and kind of squeaky. If you insist upon RECoils for your TCR 6wt at least go with two high-grade ringed strippers.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Joe Pheifer (---.uswwp.umusic.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 02:15PM

They will work fine on a saltwater 6 wt TCR. I have used the recoils on several salt rods up to 11wt. They work great--super light and no corrosion. I like the heavy wire single foot style and use the double foot strippers in 20, 16 and 12. They rarely make any noise.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2005 06:41PM

The RECoils really ARE great. And they will work fine on a saltwater rod.
But they truly are not the slickest and you will get noise. ESPECIALLY dry casting. At least some, more than youre used to probably.
If its not straight squeaking, youll get a sliding sound, even louder than chrome plated guides.
The TCR is about as high end, price wise, as you can go.
So I wouldnt go second best on the guides.
Also I hate rewrapping fly rods.
Even your grandson wont have to rewrap if you go with solid Ti framed ceramics.
Good luck.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster