I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Common Cents System question
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 01:19PM

This is probably a dumb question but could the Common Cents System be used to determine the power and action of a bamboo fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common Cents System question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2005 01:46PM

Yes. The material the rod is made from makes no difference. It's no different than a tape measure, which will measure the length of a graphite rod just as easily as that of a bamboo rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 02, 2005 01:47PM

You bet, any rod in any configuration. Had a customer asked me to CC a snook casting rod for him, took $4.66 worth.

Date: October 02, 2005 03:22PM

Thanks Tom and Spencer. I have 4 old bamboo rods that I am going to refurbish and would like to know the power and action when I finish them, so will save up my change and see how they come out.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.180.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 04:40AM

Remember to do the the test without the grip installed, I have found this a lot easier, and as for the bamboo (which I work with more than graphite) I use it on every one, new and as you are going to do, restored, just to check them out... as some of the rods I get have the line wt inscribed on the rod, so I check it, and so for it has been right on the money...

Have fun with it..

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:17AM

Art. Have you posted any CCS data for bamboo? I need to get the pamphlet and post my newest boo rods.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: October 03, 2005 01:13PM

I just submitted data for my first bamboo rod to the CCS database, but it probably won't be added for another day or two. It's a custom rod I built on a blank made by Mark Fitch, a maker from Michigan who has been at it for a long time and has a good reputation. Mark made the blank from a Paul Young Perfectionist taper. 7'6" 2pc. 4/5wt. It CC'd at 4.31/64. I imagine there could be quite a bit of variability in ERN and AA with bamboo due to cane quality and the skill level, precision, and construction methods of different builders. Nevertheless, I posted it for those who may be interested. It's a very nice rod to cast with 4-6wt. lines.

Date: October 03, 2005 07:14PM

Great Steve!

I am in the process of striping everything off the 4 old rods I have, circa 1930's early 40's, and will CC the blanks and refurbished rods when I get them done, might be awhile as have lot's of fihing to do before the winter snows get here, the way it feels today it might not be very long. It will be nice to see some bamboo data on the CCS Data site.

Bob

Posted by: larry erickson (208.50.217.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 12:28AM

Two cents for Common Cents on holding rod for CC measurement. I use two eye bolts on a horizontal slide mount . Set the bolts up for level, insert rod, turn bolt and it self centers. Get an eye big enough for the handle and it still fits the bland rod. Works slick.

larry

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:53PM

Steve. I always seem to be one step behind you. I also have several Fitch blanks to build on but have not set up my CCS system. Told Mark about CCS so he will be pleased at your post. I agree that bamboo blanks will vary some between pieces. Larry, what do you mean the bolt self-centers?

Posted by: larry erickson (204.246.241.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:17PM

Don,

I use two eye bolts. Buy them with as big an eye as rod or handle you will be testing. Space bolts as needed or appropriatefor rod.

Assuming the bolt stems, threaded portion, are level and centered to each other, insert rod and turn bolt until it touches the rod. It self centers the rod. No screwing around. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try to get a picture to you.

best regards,

larry~rigged
custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster