I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'll be the first to admit,
Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:10PM

I'm a better fisherman than a rodbuilder. I just completed my first complete build, (I've done several repairs in the past), and although I'm happy with my new surf rod, when I look through the photo galleriers, you guys are good. Anyway the purpose of this post is to thank everyone who gave me input and advice and helped along the way. I'm going to the beach tommorrow and will take some catching photos and post them up after the weekend. For those of you that know the rods I'm building I decided to build them one at a time and put them to use and see if there is anything different that I want to do. The first one ended up as follows:

Mudhole LSB1322M surf blank

Fuji LRSG guides 20,16,16,12,12,12,12 tip (would like opinions) spaced 23.5 from reel seat,16",14",13.25",12",12",9". I might be off a little here or there. Wrapped with D nylon under and over. (I already had a bunch) The white underwrap looks "wet" in some places even though I applied two liberal coats of CP and used FC high build.

Fuji graphite reel seat, door handle butt cap, cork tape handle and foregrip with EVA surf grips behind and in front of the reel seat, and at the end of the foregrip.

Handle length: 26" (would like opinions)

Once again, thanks to those who helped.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'll be the first to admit,
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:29PM

I'd bet that your rod works great and you'll soon be building another. And like every one of us, each successive rod will get better and better. Take any of the builders with beautiful rods posted on the photo page here and ask them what their very first attempt looked like and I'm sure they'll tell you it left something to be desired. You have to start somewhere. Build enough and before too long your rods will look like those on the photo page.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:06PM

Yep, every rod I made after my first looks better and better. Just like with anything it takes time and practice. But even my first rod may not look too great but it still does a very good job when fishing.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 06:47PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Any rod that is made by your own hands will far exceed anything that can come from a store regardless of cost and, nothing can measure the feeling of satisfaction that comes from fishing with a rod that you made yourself. Build the rod to meet your standards, and is comfortable for your fishing style.
I thought I would never be able to do it and now I look for the slightest excuse to make one. I wish I would have started many years ago.

Curtis Beers

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 02:01AM

I'm really not being hard on myself, I just never really noticed the quality in the craftmanship until I did it myself. You guys are right though, I did learn alot and I did gain some skill and knowledge of some things I never would have even considered. I guess that is probably something that goes on for a while. Just like with anything. The rod is well constructed, everything in the handle is well adhered, and the wraps, guides, and two coats of FC is rock solid. My creativity is lacking in designing the wraps is all. I am looking forward to my next build and you're right, I'm trying to find excuses for more. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster