I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork handle finish
Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:57AM

hello guys
did a search and got one question answered but not the other!
from what i read one person says they use true oil
how dark is the true oil goning to darken the cork?
what other finishes can i use and how dark will it turn the cork?
i want to keep it fairly light

david williams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork handle finish
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:06PM

I use U40 cork seal. It makes it just a little darker, and lets you clean up your grips very easily. It also changes the feel of the cork somewhat, I think.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:12PM

On regular cork, True Oil will slightly darken it. On Burls, I think that it really brings out the grain and is beautiful. A lot of the appearance/feel of the grip can be controlled by your application/number of coats/buffing, etc.

It's not expensive, pick up a bottle and try it on a piece of cork. Personally, I find it very attractive and really protects and keeps the grips easy to clean.

Mike

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:22PM

okay thanks for the info. if it just darkens a little i will go with the true oil
thanks again

david williams

Posted by: ted kamenecka (192.26.251.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:35PM

try the true oil on a scrap or spare piece of cork if you have it. When I tried it, it darkened my cork grip more than I wanted it to. I stick with U40 or or Thompsons Water Seal (believe it or not) which keeps the grip lighter. My 2c.

ted

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:54PM

I use tru oil and it only darkens regular cork a little, like Mike said burl is a different story. Last night I did a cork grip in minwax polyshades, it was a pecan color and darkened the grip to match the brown blank and chestnut wraps, put 2 light coats of tru oil over that...turned out quite nice.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:58PM

I've used both; both about the same color. U 40 dries MUCH faster, so I use it predominantly. Both work OK on regular cork. On burl, I've had darkening problems with the Tru Oil.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ron Walter (216.138.190.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:02PM

Although not for everyone, but on a couple Musky rods and spinning rods I tried Flexcoat epoxy finish. I thought it might be slippery, but when wet the grip actually grabs better. Unusual looking ,but I also added some feather inlays, some thread work , and even an inlaid metal musky pin. It does add weight but the balance seemed fine. It looks like Jessy Buky's foregrips. I don't know how he does his but this looks similiar.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:04PM

Hey Ron,

How about posting a pic? Love to see that one!

Mike

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:24PM

Have been using Tru-oil exclusivly as a sealer, I show my customers cork with no sealer, one with U-40 and samples with sinlge and multiple coats of Tru-oil (# of coats determines finish, flat, satin, gloss). All have been choosing a Tru-oil finish. Only the first coat darkens the cork slightly but makes the grain really pop out.

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:07PM

All,

Sorry to jump in here, but what about staining cork prior to finishing it? Blue, green, whatever??? Anyone tried this, and how did things come out?

Bilgee

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 11:35AM

Bil

I have been wondering the same thing myself. was thinking about multi-colored cork or balsa grips on some rods. I have the balsa staining figured out but the cork escapes me.

Derek

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 05:05PM

Here is a picture posted on the old photo board of some grips coated with Minwax stain.

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: October 03, 2005 10:11AM

Bob,

How did the Minwax colors hold up under use? Transfer? Fading? etc.?

Bilgee

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:05AM

Bilge

After the stain has dried I put on a coat of spar urethane and buff it lightly wit fine steel wool when it is dry. Have had no problem with fading. Below is a link to a picture of 2 rod with stained grips. reel seats and mini butts are redwood. Both have been fished a lot and still look like new.

Bob

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:10AM

You want to put a final coat of poly or Tru-oil over the stain. I have a reel seat w/o the top coat and it is showing some rub wear. I am also trying some experiments with bleaching agents and white stains. Early results are good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.135.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:42AM

Finish can be thinned and even tinted. Plain finish will turn the cork a golden glow.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:15PM

My preference is to use 12-15 coats of Tru-Oil on cork & wood, sanding with very fine steel wool between coats. It does take a lot longer, but once completed you can be proud of it. Don't forget to use a tack cloth between sandings.

Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.24.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 07:37AM

If I want a glass like finish, I put two coats of thin finish on on a fast turner. Wet sand then a final thin coat. Comes out like glass.
Most of the time I put a thin wet coat on, then take most of it off just to seal it from weather. Gives the cork a little grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2005 07:40AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster