I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speaking of Bamboo...
Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.2.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:05AM

Last week I purchased a bamboo blank from Mark Fitch. My question is whether there is anything peculiar I should know about finishing out a bamboo rod? I've built about two dozen graphite fly rods, so I have the basics down. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a modern two-part finish on the wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaking of Bamboo...
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:28AM

the traditional finish on bamboo is varnish but there is no reason why you can't use a two part epoxy to finish the wraps. some traditionalist might scoff but it will be very attractive if applied with care. i would use the minimal coverage to cover the threads. don't "football" it. you can use silk or nylon. they both work well and will go transluscent if no cp is used. i am going to build one with single foot ceramic guides. why not?

Date: September 30, 2005 09:32AM

one more thought. i don,t think i would use the two part finish to coat the whole blank. unless you purchased an impregnated blank you will need to finish the blank to seal it from moisture and protect it. i would use marine spar for this. i rub it on in thin coats with my fingers, steel wooling between coats. then i would wrap.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.253.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:34AM

single foot ceramics on bamboo????? why not? why not????? BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! ;-)

i've seen the work using modern wrap finish and it looks fine. GREAT. go with thin coats to minimalize the football look. finer silk thread is usually used but i hear it can be a challenge to wrap. i think it looks great, especially without CP. when i wrap a bamboo soon, i'm going the more traditional route with snakes and fine silk, no CP.

one other detail that's different with finishing bamboo blanks involves the ferrules. did fitch's blank come pre-ferruled or do you have to do it yourself???

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: September 30, 2005 10:25AM

eric, i know your comment is tongue in cheek. i have three bamboo rods all of which i have built from blanks. all three are very traditional. i wanted to rebel and do my own thing on this next one. did you see the work of eden bromfield at this link: [www.rodbuilding.org]

as for blanks coming ferruled, i would advise that since a mistake here can pretty much ruin a blank. i have done it successfully on one rod that i had to re-ferrul and it certainly can be done if you know how. i was able to do it working carefully and following the instructions that i read in a bamboo rod making book. did it without special tools but it is slow going.

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.2.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 10:30AM

Good, I'll stick with two very thin coats of modern lite-build finish. I plan to use traditional snakes and silk (hopefully, unless it's just too frustrating) thread. His blanks come ready to wrap. I asked about that and he said: "The rod blank has a deep penetrating hand rubbed finish(it's like a tung oil but I have my own mixture of solution) and is ready for you to put on the component parts as is. Although you would be able to put varnish over this hand rubbed finish if you choose to do so- you would need to lightly steelwool with extra fine steel wool before applying varnish."

What about wrapping the ferrules? How far up the actual metal, and how far up the blank from that? It's coming with NS ferrules installed. That was an additional, pretty minor, charge.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.33.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:55AM

You will see a line on the ferrule, above the serrations, that is where you would normally stop the ferrule wrap... as for the start ????? Up to you, 4-5 wraps before the ferrule, sometimes about 1/8" before the ferrule... Remember, what you do to the male end, do the same to the female end.

Did he lap the male end for you??? If not, you'll have to fit it to the female end.

Do you know the guide placement layout yet??? There is a certain placement for the bamboo rod, not necessarily following the graphite layout. Are you going to use a ferrule guide before the stripper or not ???

Just some questions I thought you may ask yourself BEFORE you start wrapping..

Any questions, feel free to email me privately,

Tight lines & smokin' drags,

Art

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:40PM

I have used the two part finish Klass Koat [previous sponser] and had very good results. This was a very thin finish that is classified as a paint. I also used Permagloss for both thread and rod finish.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 11:02AM

Ditto on the Klass Kote. Too much build-up with anything else around that hex shaped blank. In fact, I am conducting an experiment now with Gudebrod 811 and KK versus varnish as the top coat. As to ceramics, I have thought to use H & H strippers as they are traditional in appearance. Still contemplating an appropriate running guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster