I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo blanks?
Posted by: Bradley Goeltz (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 08:48PM

I'm an intermediate builder of graphite blanks and I've been thinking about trying to build a fly rod from one of the bamboo blanks (finished to the ferrules) that I've seen on the market. Any cautionary statements? Any opinions about the quality of various "brands" available? Is there a particular blank that you would recommend as exceptional for the cost?

As always, thanks for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo blanks?
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 09:19PM

i would absolutly stay away from blanks from china. the quality has not been good from what i have read on the bamboo forum. i would suggest you talk to an american maker. there are quite a few. one that comes to mind is jeff fultz of the fultz rod company. i have purchased two of his blanks and am satisfied with the quality and the taper. golden witch, a sponsor of this site also has high quality blanks and can set you up with everything you need to build a classic. good luck in your pursuit. there is something special about cane rods. beautiful to fish with if the taper is designed well. they are not all the same though. cane can be made anywhere from fast tip action to slow parabolic. not every one will fit your casting style.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:18PM

Golden Witch has an @#$%& store and has some good buys on excess inventory which includes bamboo rod blanks. Worth a look.

[]

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: September 30, 2005 07:21AM

Bradley,

Your e-mail is hidden so I am unable to e-mail you directly. I bought a bamboo blank this summer from a maker in Michigan named Mark Fitch. Your e-mail server suggests a Michigan address so you may find that attractive. I can highly recommend him both for his craftsmanship and his professionalism. E-mail me if you would like details. It was only my second project using a bamboo blank so I'm about where you are in terms of bamboo experience. My first project was on a Chinese blank and, as Larry suggests, I recommend paying a little more and getting much better quality.

Steve
sdkxc88@wakeforestsports.com

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 07:31AM

I can verify what Steve said about Marks blanks. His craftsmanship is second to no one.I also bought from GW and was also pleased.

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.2.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 09:09AM

I hope it's ok to post this. Mark Fitch currently has two blanks on @#$%&, a 7' 2wt and a 7' 4/5 wt Payne 98 taper . His user name is fitchm57.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.33.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:44AM

DITTO on Mark Fitch.
As a matter of fact Golden Witch has bought one of his blanks too.. if you search the feedback on Fitch you will see what Russ had to say..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster