I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue Nylon on White NCP....what if....
Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:00PM

Guys,

I have Navy Nylon on top of and White Underwrap. The underwrap is finished.

I was thinking of finishing the Navy Guidewrap without using color preserver to preserve some of the translucence of the nylon.

What do you think the results of not using CP on the Navy guidewrap will be?

Thanks,
Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue Nylon on White NCP....what if....
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.11.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:07PM

Sounds like the white will lighten the navy. Blues do tend to stay dark.

Maybe the navy under the white?? Give the white a blue look?? No CP on the white
Try it on some scrap
Come to think about it, the last time I used a blue, I found it did not get that transparent as say the reds do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 01:20PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:46PM

I use Gudebrod 245 Reg. [Royal Blue] for overwraps and Always Double Wrap to get a deep blue with no bleed through. A single wrap would give a bleed through. Needless to say I use no color perserver. Jesse

Date: September 29, 2005 01:52PM

Another note that I should have mentioned....Gudebrod 050 Cobalt Blue and it is double wrapped!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 02:25PM

cobalt blue double wraped will still look cobalt blue. It won't have that transparent look.
Lance

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2005 01:11AM

050 on NCP white comes out NICE with Gudebrod CP. I've built quite a few for a guy in these colors over the years and even single overwraps come out SHARP. Lots more "pop" than with other CP's I've used on the same combo and the "luster" you mentioned is still there.

Date: September 30, 2005 11:36AM

By means of follow-up on this thread I rolled the dice last night on my "patriot" Tuna Stick. The underwraps are fairly long white NCP. On either side they have Scarlet nylon trim bands. That was color preserved and epoxied. On top I put the guides and double wrapped with 050 Cobalt blue.

Finally I finished the whole thing with FlexCoat high-build epoxy.

I was a little concerned that the guide wrap might suffer without CP but it really does look pretty cool IMOHO in a sort of retro-70's patriotic kind of way. I'll try and post some pictures.

Thanks,
Joe.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:37AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Just to give you an idea how much of a difference it can make, check out the image I posted for you. Sorry for the poor image quality, but this is clipped from a much larger picture.

I was playing around with some boxes weaves for a set of 9 trolling rods I rebuilt for a local charter captain. I did a base weave of NCP royal blue. Left to right you can see 1) NCP royal blue no epoxy 2) NCP royal blue with epoxy 3) plain boxes wrap without any epoxy (this turns into #5 after you apply epoxy) 4) what happens when you use only CP thread for everything 5) what happens when you use NCP royal blue underwrap and CP royal blue for the weave.

I ended up doing all 9 with the weave on the right. The captain loved it. The combo of NCP and CP royal blue looked great.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:39AM

Ack- go to the photo page under thread art to see the larger version...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster