I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Technique: Underwrapping and double wrapping guides
Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 12:45PM

I have been building a Stand-up tuna stick and the material layers as you progress away from the bare blank are as follows:

Blank
Underwrap/Trim bands
Color Preserver
1 Coat Finish Epoxy
Guide Foot
1st Guide Wrap
2nd Guide Wrap
Color Preserver
Final Finish

The reason that I sealed and finished the underwrap is that in the past wrapping on top of the underwrap I find difficult as the guide wraps seem to want to fall in the cracks of the underwrap thread.

The same seems to hold true for the double guide wrap. The top wrap is difficult to pack because it wants to follow the thread contours of the under-layer.

Should I just assume it is the case that each layer needs to be completely finished before moving on to the next or is there a better technique for layering-up the thread so that the top layer lays nicely?

Thanks,
Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Technique: Underwrapping and double wrapping guides
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 02:36PM

Joe; I put a coat of finish between the first and second guide wrap, CP also if required. You might get away with just the CP, but then I'm really not in a hurry. You can also go up one size with your thread. For example underwrap first with "A" and next with "C" over it.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 02:45PM

I build a lot of stand up and trolling rods and never finish each individual wrap with epoxy or color preserver. I underwrap with size A J Metallic brand thread then start my guide wrap about an eighth of an inch inside of the underwrap then wrap towards the guide foot but don't put in my tie in loop. Once I get to the foot I start wrapping over the thread back towards the beginning of my wrap then put in my tie in loop. I stop about four winds before the start of my wrap then tie off as normal. I never have any trouble wth gaps and if I do get any they are easy to pack together. I use size D on those type of rods then finish with three coats of epoxy.

Lance

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 03:44PM

Go with Jim's suggestion
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 11:19PM

I second Bob Balcombe's technique - wrap everything, then finish.

Lou

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 11:22PM

I learned to double wrap just like Lance Dupre and the only problem I had
was when I used to much tension. I never used any thing larger than "C"
thread though. If you wish to wrap the layers separately I would suggest
using a smaller gauge thread under a larger gauge. That will fix the problems
you are experiencing.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 11:52AM

I think that Ray raises a good point...when I cranked that tension down during the wrap I got the wraps to lay much better. Although more time consuming it has to be easier to finish each layer before proceding on to the next.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.226.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2005 07:55AM

Another trick is to do your under wraps in one direction -- then when you do the over wraps, turn the rod around . This way the over wrap is going across the under and not with it. Helps to stop digging in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster