I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrap trim
Posted by: Gary Hern (24.217.203.---)
Date: September 29, 2005 08:20AM

I was taught to use a mylar type tape on my guides to get the small area of spiral for trim approximately 1/8" from the end of the guide wrap, but I always thought that looked tacky. I'll use the Team Daiwa LT series rods for an example to those that know them. These rods have what appears to be 2 silver metallic threads approximately 1/8"-3/16" from the outside end of the wrap and then the origional black thread goes the rest of the way. I have been playing around trying to figure out how to get those 2 turns of thread to stay on, but I'm having no luck. Either they come loose or I can't get them to stay packed properly. Should I wrap the main color over the trim color 4 or 5 twists to start? I've tried that, but then I can't get it locked before switching back to main color.

I hope I'm making sense here.

TIA,
Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrap trim
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 08:44AM

Gary, I use a nail knot. You can search the archives and come up with some great help on very small trim bands.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 09:02AM

I have heard of people using a drop of super glue for the very small trim bands.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: September 29, 2005 10:49AM

Two turns not intergrated into the wrap I use a nail knot and a dab of cp to hold. Two turns in the trim I put in the piece 4-5 turns after the wrap has begun and just hold it along side the main color until two full turns are completed then wrap back down the blank covering the trim tag. Takes a little practice but it easy once you get the hang of it.

Posted by: dave schaub (38.112.169.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:42PM

I do something completely different, even for one thread at the end of the wrap. On the underside of the blank (opposite of the guide) I put two small pieces of tape at either end of the guide. The tape holds a pull loop of thread and a length of the trim thread. Both of these will stretch from one end of the guide to the other so that when the wrap is started, it will go over them and lock them under. Then I start the wrap and get it going for a few turns. Now I can take the trim thread out of the tape and hold it for one or more turns at the end of the wrap. Next, take the pull loop out of the tape and tie off the trim thread under the main threads. Clip the two ends of the trim thread and continue as the ends of the trim thread will be under the wrap. They are very secure and tight. I hope this is clear. email me if not and i will help further.
Dave

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 03:32PM

I usually do 5-7 binding wraps over the tag of the trim thread.....then do either a 2 turn or 3 turn trim wrap...and then bind that down with my main thread...another 7 turns or so.

You're not clipping your main thread before youdo the trim wrap are you?

Just wrap you trim wraps right over your main thread....then bind the trim thread down....with your main thread.

Keith

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 04:13PM

I do it like Keith; just stop the wrapping thread, grab the trim thread by hand and wind the number of turns needed (overlaying the wrapping thread as I go), and then begin wrapping again, burying the trim thread for two or three wraps. Cut off the trim thread, and finish out the wrap.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Gary Hern (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 09:12PM

Thats what I'm doing wrong! I'm cutting my main thread and not overwrapping it. DUH

Thanks guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster