I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dyeing Feathers? for inlays
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:43PM

Has anyone done this sucessfully for an inlay?....I'm not versed on the proper terminology, but could a white "saddle hackle? be made purple?... or a white/ dark "grizzly hackle" be made green/ dark?... thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dyeing Feathers? for inlays
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 08:45PM

Don't know why it wouldn't work, you can buy all sorts of dyed feathers, complete neck and saddle skins in just about any color. Check you local store that handles fly tying supplies.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:53PM

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.52.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 07:44AM

[www.cabelas.com]

Cheaper if you can find the color you want.

Date: September 29, 2005 04:59PM

thanks..hope to find the right color(s) natural, but options would be nice too.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.145.112.---)
Date: September 29, 2005 05:45PM

I posted a photo to illustrate a grizzly hackle feather from a brown dyed neck. As Bob Crook mentions you can get these feathers in many colors if you have a tackle shop dealing in fly tying supplies. Many have small packages of feathers available.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: September 29, 2005 06:02PM

It used to be that Veniard's was the dye material of choice by the big time fly tyers. I know it's still made because I saw some on a website several months back. I've used Veniard's and also Rit. The Veniard's was better, but the Rit did work but took longer to get the colors I wanted. The big advantage of Rit was that it was cheap and readily available.

Date: September 29, 2005 06:22PM

The reason I asked was beause I have some saddle hackles and other stuff leftover from a season of fly tying and "stripers on the fly", I figured people have tried to "dye their own" for some reason or other...what better place to ask? thanks. Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 08:05PM

Mike,
A real good resource on dyeing feathers would be Andy Snedden at Rodbuilder Supplies, he custom dyes feathers in his business.

Posted by: Ken Mayall (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 11:34PM

Rit or Tintex will work well for some colors .Other colors like true black are better left to the more powerfull dyes.
I know some guys who even use Cool Aid to dye feathers.
How about a Tye Dyed feather inlay?

Some links from Rit ,check out the custom blended color recipes.

[ritdye.com]

[ritdye.com]

[ritdye.com]

HOW CAN I LEARN HOW TO DO FEATHER INLAYS ON RODS
Posted by: John Koger (66.184.201.---)
Date: October 04, 2005 10:51AM

i AM TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO INLAY FEATHERS ON RODS. hOW CAN I LEARN? wHAT IS THE STEPS?

Re: HOW CAN I LEARN HOW TO DO FEATHER INLAYS ON RODS
Posted by: john Bradford (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:53AM

I am just starting to build rods and was interested in feather inlays. Does anyone have a
tutoral or video or a URL that I could go to and see some pics of the process???
Thanks
John

Posted by: John Pope (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 04:32PM

Orco Fly Dyes is a great product that I have used. It will do any natural material; such as feathers, bucktails, and furs. I found some on @#$%& pretty cheap a while back. It is pretty easy to use just takes about 45 minutes per color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster