I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Almost perfect.....But not quite.... should I fool with it?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:26PM

My latest rod project was, of course, my 7 wt Dan Craft FT. This is an incredible rod. Test cast it, side by side, this weekend with another 7 wt I have...a 9'6 Lamiglass Esprit. Man..no competition. The FT is lighter...more accurate and longer. And I thought the Esprit was a great blank! Not even in the same league...

Anyway...The rod turned out very nice. Perfecty flat, even Flex Coat LIte surface on the wraps...not a pimple or dit in sight. However....As I've cast it I've noticed that not all of the wraps have straight lines of Flex Coat just past the end of the wraps. Some of my efforts there resulted in uneven and slightly wavey ends of the Flex Coat.

So here is the question.....Would you just go with it as is (the rod is for me) or apply another very thin coat of the FC lite to "even out" those wavey ends?

Thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almost perfect.....But not quite.... should I fool with it?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:21PM

...go fishing, the next rod will have better lines. The rod after that...even better. etc........................................

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:32PM

I know what I would do, I would attempt to make it perfect and then I would really botch things up and wish I would have left well enough alone. It seems Mr. Murphey always gets the last laugh in those situations when I try to correct something. ha

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:50PM

I agree with Rob, I think Mr Murphy is just tempting you.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:52PM

Take to the Elk and catch a bigun with it, the fish will never know the difference.

Bob

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:08PM

Fish it! :)

DR

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:11AM

Murphy's law states that whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong.

Putter's law states "that dang Murphy is a *^^^%((* optimist."

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 01:43AM

Definitely leave it EXACTLY the way it is.
This living imperfection will remind you of two things:
- The fish you'll catch won't hold it against you. They'll still jump on your hook.
- That you need to remember to correct that little problem on your next project. Try spinning the rod next time as you apply that finishing touch to the epoxy edge.

[In fairness to the possible "easy for you to say" objection to retaining an imperfection, I think I am practicing what I am preaching. I have a torn molding and a fender dent on the body of my car left there by a lousy woman driver and a maniacal fraternity punk. Both remind me that there is no satisfaction from an act of my retaliation (road rage) that is worth my going to jail for. Ok, the car has seen better days. But when I get a newer one, I'll be more ready for the threat of someone else's recklessness.]

Keith T. - There are dozens of Threads and hundreds of Replies here at RBO on Thread Finish Application Techniques. Below are some recent ones of interest. If you use a rotor when applying your thread epoxy, one of these techniques may be right up your alley. -LOL, Cliff Hall+++

Re: Finishing Guide wraps with epoxy - Mike Barkley - May 30, 2005
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"... I assume that he applies at high speed to get quick coverage and nice edges on the wraps, then turns off the motor and goes over by hand to make sure that all wraps are properly covered. Many builders (myself included) feel that turning by hand gives a much smoother finish." - Mike Barkley.

Smooth epoxy finish - Daniel Seely - July 12, 2005
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"What is the best way to get a smooth epoxy finish on larger covered areas, such as where it is inscribed. I have used Flex Coat and U-40 LS with a sable brush and it is never quite perfect and always has a convoluted surface. Any suggestions?" - Daniel Seely.

Guide epoxy tips and tricks - Rob Hardaway - May 30, 2005
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"Im sure this subject has been broached a few times before but once again, I would like to try and get some pro tips on ways to apply Rod Finish Epoxy, and get that perfect finish." - Rob Hardaway.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 28, 2005 01:43AM

Double Post -DELETED- . -CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2005 11:01AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.224.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:07AM

hey there keith. Hmmmmm. it would be safest to do what the others said and simply fish it, lesson learned, insure it doesn't happen again.

i finished a rod a couple of weeks ago for a friend and the thread wraps turned out well. except for one little glitch. the thread finish (epoxy ;-) only went to the edge of the thread at the hook keeper for two of the three edges (the "fourth" edge extended to the winding check). i noticed it the morning after finishing it, thought about it for that day, and on the next morning, went ahead and mixed 3ccs of flex coat lite and with a toothpick, laid down a line at each point as it turned on the dryer. don't know what i was thinking, should have used a (small narrow) section of a plastic card like the rest of the finish. the edge extends just beyond the thread like all the rest of the guides which i'm happy with but there is a very slight difference between the original finish and where it merges with the last added parts. oh well. <<i>> know it's there, i doubt my buddy would ever notice.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: September 28, 2005 04:55PM

Just be happy with your oh so cool rod. This way you HAVE to build more, just to have the chance to make the "perfect" one.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 30, 2005 02:32PM

Just take a photo of the best looking guide, post it, and everyone will tell you what a great job you did...not knoing ablut the ridges. Show the rod to all your friends, don't tell them anything is wrong. Tell them what a great job you did finishing, make sure you tell them how smooth and flat & level it is. Encourage them to feel how smooth teh guide epoxy is.

I promise they won't notice. The only people who will notice are those ion teh iunterent where they see the rod magnified 20 times. In real life nobody sees, or cares.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster