I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rear grip length
Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:35PM

I have a bass fishing friend who wants a 7' ML spinning rod for throwing grubs and other small stuff in winter. He told me that he wants a 10" rear grip, and I found that length to be pretty excessive, at least in my limited experience. Seems like it would really get in the way. Is this a reasonable length?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear grip length
Posted by: Joe Preast (---.116.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:55PM

As a tournament bass fisherman I have several spinning rods used for lighter lures and skipping. Most of my 6'6" and 7' have 10 inch cork rear grips. They dont get in the way at all. I believe it is a pretty standard practice. At least in my area.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:06PM

10" is not too long for this size/style rod.

Personally, I actually prefer an 11" grip on something light that is going to be doing a lot of repetitive casting. It is much less tiring and certainly does not get in the way. I find that most of the grips on commercial rods are too short to be comfortable for me.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:50PM

If that's what he wants...

I find that on most rods I don't like the grip to extend past my elbow. After that it snags on clothes and rain gear. But certain applications benefit from a long handle. All of that needs to be taken into account.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:53PM

I'm with Matt, not past the elbow when holding the rod in the retrieve position. But strictly an individual preference, and one of the most important aspects and benefits of custom building. I do have some long inshore rods with long handles, and it helps with two-handed casts, though I don't like the feel when working the lure. Check with the guy, but if that's what he knows he wants....

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:13PM

I'm with Matt as well....too long for my tastes.

I would make SURE he wants the rear grip ALONE to be 10"......and not the entire grip: rear grip, seat and foregrip combined for a total of 10"....just a thought.......

DR

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 07:33AM

I personally have a 7 md light with a 10 inch rear grip. Works great if you are casting all day, but it can get in the way a little if you are trolling or drift fishing. A good compromise would be something around 9 inches, that 10 in is just a tad too long.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:35AM

If the guy really wants a 10" grip than it is the perfect length (for him) There is no such thing as a "right" size for everyone. I would make sure that a customer fully understands what he is asking for and then build it. You might want to put 10 inches of cork and a seat on a dowel and let him handle it. Having a few different sizes "mocked" up on a dowel really helps in determing sizes and seat placement. Good use for that "garbage" cork most have laying around.

Pipe insulation tubes are great for simulating grips. 10 foot lengths are a couple bucks and with a few dowels, you can make a lot of different siz demo handle/seat combo's.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 02:16PM

The mock-ups are a great idea. I'd include split grips in the mock-ups, too!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster