I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding down a cork handle
Posted by: john esler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:25AM

Dumb question but first time having to do this. How would you reduce a cork handle that is too big around? My wife's hands are small enough that the cork grip I bought for her next rod has too big a diameter. Sand it somehow? Before or after I epoxy it on to the blank? Do folks use a palm or belt sander?

Thanks in advance

John Esler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding down a cork handle
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:23AM

You can do a great job with just a sanding block and turning the cork grip slightly so you take the same amount off evenly, a little bit at a time. Start with 100 sandpaper and finish with 400. If she has small hands, the split grip style just may be the perfect setup for her. I tape off the reelseat and exposed blank areas near where I'm sanding and just go at it while it's on the blank. The hole thru the cork grip isn't always on center so it's the perfect time to even it out a littleas needed.
All the best to you and yours.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:42AM

Don't touch it with a palm or belt sander - you'll have nothing but a pile of dust in just a few seconds. A lathe would be preferred, but failing that you can do this by hand, but work slow and carefully. You might be able to rig up something so that you can turn the grip with the aid of a power drill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.196.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:53AM

The drill will work if you don't have a lath.
I put them on a piece of scrap blank that fits the drill chuck, then you could support the open end on some thing like a small box with a V cut in it. Try to keep the blank as short as possible. Go slow it will cut fast.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 09:17AM

Most preformed cork handles I have used have 1/4 inch hole....get ur self a pc of 1/4 inch threaded rod a couple washers for each end and nuts ....u can use this with a lathe or a drill....

Slide the grip over the rod..might have to turn it like you are screwing it on then put a washer and nut on each end. Put it in the drill/lathe chuck (if it is a drill u will need to secure the drill to something solid) Take a strip of 100 grit and very light pressure and it won't take long to get get it down a bit bigger than you want...then go to 320.....fill any big void using the dust from sanding and a glue mixture...basically the same as doing your own cork grip except for you didn't glue it up....will make a mess...very fine dust wear a mask..shop vac is nice...or do it outside..

If you look at globalflyfisher.com and look at rodbuilding their is a how to article with plenty of pics....might be helpful

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.196.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 09:24AM

I have done them with the threaded rod.
Find they tend to be out of ballance and wabble. I find the tapered scrap blank fit tight works better

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:02AM

I use the threaded rod also. But, I put the threaded rod vertical into a drill press. The lower end of the threaded rod goes through a nylon bushing I have set into a piece of wood. That piece of wood gets clamped to the drill press table so the threaded rod runs through the bushing and throught the middle hole in the drill press table. Then I adjust the drill press table to a height where there is no wobble.

I use a 1.5" nylon sleeve between the cork and the washer/wingnut as a spacer. It lets me shape smaller at the end if I need to and keeps my knuckles away from the spinning wingnuts. I found these nylon spacers at the hardware store. They are 1/4" I.D. and only 3/8 O.D. Otherwise washers right against the cork dont let you shape-down too far.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:46PM

as bill mentioned, watch out for alignment. i hand held my first preformed grip in a test of sanding it down with the grip on a section of old blank chucked into my cordless dewault drill. it turned out (sorry ;-) very much out of round at one end. the second time i tried it, i braced my hand against something sturdy and carefully eyed it, with something in the background as a frame of reference. the best way to do it with a hand drill is to mount it in a stand of some sort. all a compromise for a true lathe though. ui've since bought a mandrell from andy dear.

eric
fresno, ca.

Thanks, All
Posted by: john esler (198.107.240.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 04:52PM

I'll build a jig to hold a piece of tapered rod pushed up into the cork handle, then use my drill press. Sounds like if I go slow and keep it careful to start square, it should be smooth.

Split grip will wait for another project :-)

Thanks again for the help.

JE

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 05, 2005 11:20AM

Bill I fear I'm probably not seeing the ' forest cause of the trees ' with this question but when you use a srap piece of blank to form a cork grip : How do you secure it so it doesn't crack the blank and is plum? How do you remove the grip when it's done? I plan to make a jig for an old, heavy, powerful drill. I know from all the other improving and growing I've done in this addicting hobby that there finally comes a point where you just have to jump in and try some new technique and learn from your hands on, eyes alert, brain focused experiment and possibly mistakes. I'm at that point on turning my first cork grip. Any further tips would be appreciated. My Lord, I'm even trying to come up with the money and time to go to the Rod show this year. I am a visual, slow learner and would love to see the the techniques and skills of the many , experienced builders form this great forum. Thanks for all you help. Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster