I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 wt recommendation??
Posted by: Chris May (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 09:43PM

I want to build a 4 piece 7' 6" or 7' 9" 3wt fly rod and am looking for blank recommendations. Most of the casting would be with less than 30' of dual taper line. . . . indicating an ERN of around 3.25 (I think!!!) The only blank that I seem to be able to find that meets these requirements is the St. Croix SCIV 7' 9". I've had great luck with SCIV's in the past, but I would prefer a less expensive blank. Any recommendations from you pro's?

Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 wt recommendation??
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:24PM

See Dan Craft on the left side of this page!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 03:05AM

Might look at the Forecast F764-5 blank I think the one I built CCd around 3.4 if I remember right. Sure threw my 3 wt lines as good or better than my 3 wt Sage does.

Posted by: David Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:48AM

I just built the same on a "Tiger Eye" 3/4 wt blank I bought on @#$%&, not expensive at all. It has a very nice action, and on the first day fishing it I caught four fish 16 to 22 inches, and it performed terrifically. I haven't tried a 3 wt line, but I did notice the same as a 2/3 wt offered for @#$%&. I'd buy another if I needed it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 06:38AM

Chris,

Continue to gather CCS data on any blanks under consideration. I have found that with light line rods, especially where you’re going to cast short distances, you want a rod that isn’t too powerful for the job. A couple of years ago I bought two different 7’9” three weight blanks, both of which I had CCS data for. Both rods CC’d in the mid 4’s. Both rods fail to cast a three weight double taper at the short distances I planned to use the rods for, and under tight canopies. The errors made were completely mine, as I knew the CCS ratings on both blanks and still chose to build them hoping to cast three weight double taper fly lines.

I do use the rods today under the conditions explained above, but must use a double taper four weight line for the rods to function properly.

It sounds like you have already determined that trusting the CCS system and targeting a CCS rating is a good idea. Good luck with your rod.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.196.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 09:01AM

The St Croix SCIV I think will be too fast. I would go for a more moderate action blank. More in the mid to high 2's for a 3 WT.
The tiger eye Translucent redish brown is a nice flex tip, kind of like the Fenwick Rainshadow/Forecast are also nice. Rainshadow's are think a translucent green.

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:02AM

I agree with Jeff. I just built a fast 3wt and I use a 5 wt dt line for 30ft casts under low hanging trees. It feels like the rod cannot energize a lighter line in places where you cannot backcast easily. In big water and open spaces the fast 3wt is excellent.. I think your best bet is a Forecast blank they load nicely in tight places...Bob.

Posted by: michael t williams (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:41AM

Hi Chris, I recommend Five Rivers (Dan Craft), Forecast and Tiger Eye. I think Dan still carries a five peice, 7 1/2 foot 3 weight. I think this rod is a "magic wand". Hve fun! Michael:-)

Posted by: michael t williams (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 10:42AM

Hi Chris, I recommend Five Rivers (Dan Craft), Forecast and Tiger Eye. I think Dan still carries a five peice, 7 1/2 foot 3 weight. This rod is a "magic wand". Hve fun! Michael:-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2005 11:01AM

If you're going to be consistently casting less than 30 feet of line (have less than 30 feet of line past the tip) you'll want an ERN lower than 3.25. Look for 2.5 to 3 max.

A nice fast action rod works great. Best 3 weight rod I've ever owned was an older Amtak with an AA of 74. They no longer make it. Wish they did - I'd buy a couple more just for back ups.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2005 09:29PM

We have a 7'0" 5pc 2wt that would probably fill the bill. The blank Michael mentioned is the FRSIV76235. It is a 7'6" 5pc 2/3wt but may be a little parabolic for the job.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2005 10:09PM

Chris said he wants to build a 4 piece 7' 6" or 7' 9" 3wt fly rod and many of you have suggested Forecast. I would like to build a similar rod and looked at Forecast's offering and all they offer is a 2 piece 3 wgt.. Tiger Eye is the only company I've found who offers 3 wgts in more than two pieces.

I contacted Batson directly and they said they'll give some thought to a 3 or 4 piece, but none is available for now.

Posted by: Chris May (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 09:47PM

Thank you all for your comments. It seems my dilema is somewhat more complicated than I had hoped for. I will likely settle for a two piece rod as there seems to be more options available. I will keep an eye out for future offerings from Batson that might provide the exact blank that I am looking for. The rod that I am hoping to build seems to be one that many others would like, but the "right" blank has yet to be identified.

Thanks again,
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster