I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for Chevron, fish, diamond, etc. wrap shortcuts
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 04:49PM

Hey guys, i've been reading some posts about guys coloring in an entire butt wrap in a matter of 2 hours on a 6 inch fill in. Now when i do these wraps, it takes me the majority of the day. Granted they come out nice, packed tight etc, but judging by these other guys' work so does theirs!! I was just wondering if you guys had some shortcuts or different way of doing things. Most of my time seems to be in cutting my lengths of thread before running the wrap. That and preparing the tape etc. My method is to cut the thread to length in the right quantity (ie if im running a 4 thread thick wrap, i cut 4 pieces of thread at the appropriate length). I start about one full wrap past where i've marked my blank. I tape the thread in place using 1/4 masking tape at the beginning, i then wrap, and tape it on the other end. Forward and back its the same process. I then wrap the ends, epoxy with light epoxy and then trim the excess thread when dry. it works really well but i was thinking that there must be a faster way. Does anybody use a small comb (maybe a lice comb, i know that's gross but they have tiny prongs) to keep the threads from twisting over themselves when pulling several threads? I've tried to come up with a faster way but haven't found one yet. Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for Chevron, fish, diamond, etc. wrap shortcuts
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2005 08:26PM

Repitition means a lot. After you've done dozens and dozens of these you'll find that you can do them much quicker. If you can wrap multiple threads at the same time, without having to set up a comb or similar device, you can also save some time.

One thing that might help - I never taped down the threads in the way I think you're doing it. I wrapped a band of tape around the blank and then doubled it back over itself. That way, I just pressed the thread into it and wrapped away, making one wrap at the other end. The thread stuck to the sticky side of the tape which was facing up. Occasionally, you did have to replentish the tape with a new band, as the previous band tends to fill up if you're doing any pattern that entails more than a few threads.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 08:54PM

Double faced tape works great to stick thread to. I too am still taking 4 to 6 hours for a closed butt wrap. I need to figure out wrapping bands. Cutting thread to length in it self seems time consuming, and keeping consistent tension on cut thread doesn't seem too easy either.

Anyone got any tips on wrapping bands of thread?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 09:55PM

Dont feel lonely about being slow Aaron. I am too and it is ok. The important thing is that you are happy with your end product. The key word is YOU. The speed will come when it comes.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2005 10:26PM

After some number of wraps, you learn about how long the thread needs to be for the wrap you're doing. For wraps where I was wrapping 4 threads at a time, it was a simple matter to zip off enough thread to reach between my extended arms, snip it from the spool, double it, double it again, and the clip the dangling loops (you won't have much problem with twist if you cut the loops on the ends - each thread should have a free tag end). For 8 threads, I'd just double that initial pull and then double and double again and snip the loops. This takes about 5 or 6 seconds I'd guess. 8 was about the most I could comfortably wrap at one time without the threads getting tangled or twisted. I've done more, but found it was faster to wrap 8, another 8, another 8 or so on until I had the width I needed.

Everybody does these things differently. I wouldn't think of wrapping from the spool and always just worked with cut lengths of threads between my fingers. Others do it exactly the opposite and get similar results.

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.mtry01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:22PM

Thanks for the help guys, also what size thread do you guys use? i always use size A thread. I think it looks good and packs nice and tight, but obviously a thicker thread would fill up the blank faster. Does say a size D thread look bad in a crosswrap pattern? thanks again

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:37PM

Looks bad to a camera on the photo page, but average Joe's sure don't see the diff.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.21.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 10:13AM

One little trick I do is I have two pieces of thin blank in holes standing up. I take my thread and wrap it around these, one full turn is two threads. Then I cut the thread off the spool grab the thread, slip it off the blanks and cut the loops. The thread has to be run though your thumb and first finger to get them streight

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:42PM

Bill, Great idea!! Thanks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:17PM

I like to wrap the thread around a piece of plexiglass then cut the thread & comb the thread strandswith a nit comb.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:17PM

I like to wrap the thread around a piece of plexiglass then cut the thread & comb the thread strands with a nit comb.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 08:36PM

Like Tom, I do up to 8 threads without too many problems. More threads just seems to increase the time and the twist factor. Instead of using a band to wrap one length of the wrap up the rod, I will cut enought to go up the road and back down again. This is where twist can affect your nicely laid bands. Use your thumb nail on your dominant hand to eliminate the twist as you go and once you have laid the band up the wrap, gently eliminate any twist prior to going back down the wrap. Also, I have personally found that the more tension you place on the band the more problems you sometimes get. Nice even pressure to lay the band suits my style of wrapping. If you go for smaller number bands 4-6 you can add a little more pressure without problems.

This works for me. Someone else may have a method that works for them. Pick something you are comfortable with and practise that until it becomes second nature.

Regards
Outback

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 01:02AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

THere's an accurate pos tI made 1 1/2 years ago, predicting once I figured out how to use the box I'd be bangign the wraps out in no time. And here I am today, banging them out in no time. It took me about 15 wraps to get "good" at useing the box to wrap bands. Hardest part is setting it up, Xferrign thread from a main spool to 4 small wooden spools, then threadign them all through the box. Set up can take over an hour alone, but the next time I use those colors, set up time will take 10 minutes, just to thread all teh colors through the box.

You got a few ways to wrap bands, figure out which works for you/ I tried a bunch before I was introduced to teh box, and htat's the one I'm most comfy with and allows me to wrap bands of 8 with no twist, and no waste, no measuring - just pull teh colros out, run them tru my fingers, onto D-stick,a dn away I go. There are tricks & such, but you'll figure them out on your own.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster