I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cloudy decal?
Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: September 26, 2005 12:57PM

I ordered some of Decal Connections new decals and got a cloudy looking result when I applied finish to them. I used a base of finish...let it dry...applied the decal...let it dry..then applied another coat of finish.
Thanks for your help!!

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cloudy decal?
Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.adobe.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 01:16PM

Michael,

Try the search using "cloudy decal". It should turn up similar questions/answers.

- Sam

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 06:54PM

If the whole thing is cloudy, and it's done over hardened, cured finish, the water you're soaking the decal in could be bad (try using distilled) or you're moving it around so much that the THIN layer of adhesive with the waterslide is gone and doesn't adhere the waterslide to the surface. I would think that one of these two is the culprit.

The thin layer of adhesive on these waterslides is the most commonly overlooked problem with them. They can be soaked too long in too warm of water and it can get removed somewhat, too. Try to position the decal off the backing as close as possible to the spot you need the decal at and keep movement to a bare minimum after that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 08:23PM

Michael,

Decal Collection's web site has some suggestions for decal application & I suspect you've read them.

One thing I learned was from Jimmi's demonstration in Charlotte, i.e., put them in water and take them out almost immediately, and let sit there for a while. Like Putter said, distilled water is best. Just don't do a long decal immersion or you'll lose adhesion.

Stan

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:00AM

Stan, about how many seconds would you leave it there and then about how long do you let it sit before applying? I've never gone about it that way but this old dawg is always eager to learn new tricks. Thanks.
Rob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 12:21AM

Hey, Dr. Rob,
It only takes about 3 seconds of in the water and let it sit; Jimmi's old paper (only stuff I use) only needs this amount of time and the decal will slide off. The new paper has to sit, then, until it will slide off (haven't timed it, but probably 20 seconds or more). The key is, it doesn't need to sit in the water. It just needs to sit.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:29AM

I have the same problem and have tried every tric in the book. I use Distilled water and have let rod sit for a few says and then apply finish and they get cloudy on me also. But not all the time. Sometimes it may take a few days after I apply the finish before it gets cloudy. I actually have had better luck applying the decals on a matte blank.

Thanks Dave

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 02:47PM

I use MicroSol and MicroSet and no more cloudy decals. I just follow the instructions off of decalconnection.com.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 27, 2005 05:14PM

But the decal still needs to set in some water and then applied to the surface; water can still be a culprit, even when using the setting solutions. I use them too, although I didn't have much trouble before I started using them. It's just a little piece of mind for me to use them.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster