I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bend in blank
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 07:29AM

I am presently building a four piece six weight fly rod using a PacBay Traditions blank. When I splined the pieces of the blank, there was a slight curve in the blank in theupper two sections. I went ahead and wrapped the rod neglecting the curve. After viewing the guides and tip top I am not pleased with the look of the rod with the slight curve in the top two sections of the rod blank. My question is this: Do I wrap the rod according to the spline, or do I straighten the rod blank fitted together and wrap the guides according to the curve, neglecting the true spline, or do I return the rodblank to the dealer and ask for a straight blank?. Irregardless of how I put the top two sections together, i get a slight curve in the rodblank, but I can reduce the curvature by disregarding the spline. I would appreciate any advice/comments.-gb-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bend in blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2005 08:42AM

You'll be hard pressed to find a perfectly straight blank. The vast majority of them all have a natural curve. That's the curve most factories wrap on. They ignore the spine. If you choose to wrap on or opposite the spine, you'll have that curve usually going off to one side or the other. It's not going to hurt anything, nor is ignoring the spine and wrapping on the straightest axis.

If you wrap on the straightest axis, I would suggest positioning the blank so that the tip and butt are up, the belly down. The guides would go on the belly, of course.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 06:48PM

Maybe it'll cast around corners?? :)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: larry erickson (208.50.218.---)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:56PM

Gene,

Don't know if this will help but my distributor told me some of their customers would hang the rod vertically and apply heat to the blank in the curved area to straighten it out. This was usually done to the St. Croix seconds they use to sell and these blanks almost always had a curved tip section.

I haven't tried this technique yet and don't really know how much heat to apply but I have tried baking enamel spray paint at 250 degrees and didn't hurt the blank, at least it hasn't broken yet. If your brave enough or foolish enough(is there a difference) you might try hanging it with a small weight at the bottom and hit it wiith a hair dryer.

When I get around to it I'm going to try this and well post my results. Don't hold your breath for this.

good luck,

larry

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 28, 2005 12:25AM

I would think that 250 degrees is getting pretty close to taking the blank to a temp where the bonding in the blank will come apart on you. Be real careful there; boiling water temperatures are safe; I've done that too many times to count. But 250 is REALLY close, Larry.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 02:38PM

I am at my wits end about this rod. I took off the wrappings and rewrapped on what I thought was the curve, which was very slight. When I got the wraps back on the durn thing has the dog leg in it again. Unless, I can figure out something, I am gonna have to keep the rod as no one will buy it I don't think. I am using expensive titanium snakes and a titanium reel seat so i will have a lot of expense in this rod. Is it possibe for the wraps to cause a bend? I did check my tension and I'm not putting too much tension on the wraps, as I can move the snake eyes to align them. Anyone have some magical formula/ answer for a poor rodbuilder???Would you use the heat technique after the wraps have been epoxied? Thanks for your help...-gb-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster