I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sit or stand when wrapping
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:30PM

I'm about to start building my new rod building shop and will be building a wrapping bench. I don't know if I want to make it for standing or sitting down when wrapping. Sometimes when wrapping sitting down my back gets to really hurting. What do you folks perfer....sitting or standing?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sit or stand when wrapping
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:39PM

I mostly stand but have a bar stool if I want to sit.

Mike

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.an3.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:45PM

For myself, I must sit. I think you should build the wrapping bench where you would be comfortable wrapping either standing or sitting. If the bench needs to be alittle tall, think about a chair for a drafting table. They are alittle taller. Go for comfort!

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 09:57PM

Steve,
I have a very tall wrapping bench. It took some getting used to, but I am very comfortable standing and wrapping.
I asked this question before building my bench. Here is the thread
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 10:02PM

Bob - good thread, I remember making that post. I was about to say just about the same thing I said a year ago - make sure you build it so you can do both. If you are fresh and feel like standing, then stand. If it's a long day at work & you ned to get a rod done...Sit. I still say it's much easier to do certain things sitting, and other things are easier standing.

Just forreference, when I sit, teh blank is about at eye level, so I don't have to hunch over & I can see the wrap without any glare from the lighting above. I also have a bar stool which puts my eye level above the blank looking down a bit.

Standig - depending on your floor, you may have some fatigue in your legs. I put 3x3 rubber work mats down, and my feet, ankles, knees & back have thanksed me for it. My floor is concrete with Vynial squares - no pading or insulation, and after a while my legs would hurt like na SOB. No more.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 10:08PM

I forgot to mention the anit-fatigue matting. If you are in a garage like me, or a basement with a concrete floor, it's a must.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 06:31AM

I can stand or sit on a bar stool.It helps to be able to sit or lean on the bar stool after along day working and a few beers(lol).Best to have it both ways ,sometimes you need to sit and stare a little to imagine what a color combo will look like.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.mtry01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:31PM

i built my bench tall and then i ended up using a short piano stool. Personally i like to be able to get up next to the work without having to bend my back as much. Now i can get close to my work by simply leaning forward. Good question! I made my bench to fold in half as well. I used a person's rollers that they make and sell for rod building (not a sponsor) and then made the table to attach them to. The rollers are made to clamp to a piece of L angle that mounts on the table that you have to make. I made mine, cut it in half, hinged it, put hangar bolts in the "H" shaped legs, 4 legs total so 8 hangars. The hangar bolts stick through the top of the table and are held in place with wingnuts that are well out of the way. Then there is a brace that ties the legs together which also stacks the legs together when the table is not in use. My thread tensioners are held in place with squeeze clamps just like the rollers. Nothing moves at all, it is a really great setup. I lived in an apartment and this was a must for being able to put it in the closet when finished and being able to set it up quickly when you need to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster