I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pen for labeling/signing rod blanks
Posted by: David Heine (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 03:05PM

What is a good pen for writing on rod blanks? Is it a good idea to coat over top of the writing? What would you use to coat it with?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pen for labeling/signing rod blanks
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 03:19PM

David,
A variety of different types of pens have been used to write on blanks. Some use gel pens, and some use pens that require dipping into either ink or paint. You will find many writings on this subject here on the board. Rather than try to re-create even my own writings I will request that you use the search button near the top of the page. You will uncover may suggested methods to try.

I do suggest, however, that you do a fair amount of practicing regardless of the method you choose. Practice blank preparation, writing, and coating on an old blank section before attempting on a finished rod.

Good luck,
Jeff

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 06:33PM

My first choice was a Pilot Gold Marker Extra Fine Point (bought at hardware or grocerie store) -- bad choice for me. It was way too big for the fine lettering like you expect to see on rods. I think my next try will be one of the quill (or "India Ink") type pens you dip in ink every couple letters. Or I may just go to computer artwork and have some custom decals printed up.

Good Luck

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.201-252-140.telecom.net.ar)
Date: September 25, 2005 07:10PM

I have the "Pilot Gold Marker Extra Fine Point" and found it great, after practicing a LOT on discarded blank pieces. Yes, You have to "learn" how to thin the stream of ink, but is an excellent choice even if You don´t cover it with F.C.
Pelikan is another good choice, very similar.
For the thinest "black" inscriptions use Sharpie.

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: September 26, 2005 07:46AM

I use a rapidograph drafting pen. I usually write on top of finish and finish over the top of the writing.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: September 26, 2005 08:02AM

One neat trick I use a lot is to write on scraps of water-slide decal paper. It's so much easier and neater writing on a flat surface (for me anyway). Then spay a clear coat of Krylon on top, cut around your text, and apply it to the blank like any other decal. You can never make a mistake on a blank this way...

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 12:16PM

Mike

What water slide decal paper have you found to work best, clear or white?

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: September 26, 2005 02:01PM

I write on clear paper with metalic gold and silver pens. It would be perfect if only I had the Matt Davis' ultra-neat handwriting... I'd save a lot of time if I had his penmanship.

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2005 03:51PM

Unless you just want the inscription to be in your own handwriting I would got to Decal Connection hunderds if not thousands of fonts and any inscription you like. I ordered and tried some recently will definately be ordering more. Great look easy to work with and striking appearance. Nice professional touch to finished rod,

Posted by: Dewey Norris (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2007 03:29PM

I have tried to wright with the Polit extra thin,but it seem to be to thick.
I see you have a way to narrow the lettering down
I hope you will share the info. with me.
Thanks, Dewey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster