I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

coats of Flex Coat Lite
Posted by: Jerry Alexander (---.long.cox-internet.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:05PM

Regarding the use of Flex Coat Lite Formula, how many coats do you usually apply in flyrod applications? This is assuming reasonably thin applications on each coat.

This is my first time to use this and I applied it a little thick on the second coat. Not real good! I think I just hate to mix up 3 cc's and see so much go to waste (greed). I can't imagine why a smaller amount i.e. 1 1/2 or 2 cc's could not be mixed well if a good mixing container was used and one was careful in their mixing techniques.

Also, how far away trom the thread wraps do most of you extend the application of the Flex Coat on the blank?

Thanks in advance........this is a great forum.

Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coats of Flex Coat Lite
Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:23PM

Jerry,

Usually 2 coats of FC Lite are quite enough on any rod, fly or spin/cast.

As to quantity of finish, I think it's a matter of experience... If you are quite new to this, maybe it's good idea not to mix less than 2 cc of each component. Having already built 30+ rod by now, I sometimes mix 0,5+0,5 cc without having any problems with the result.

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 01:24PM

Jerry

I currently use LS Supreme but previously used Flex Coat Lite. I have best results with at least 2 very thin coats. I wouldn't call you greedy - just frugal. I think it's normal not to want to waste things unnecessarily. I frequently mix small batches of finish and have never had a problem. You just need to recognize that you're more likely to have a problem and that you'll need to be extra careful to get your portions of part A and a part B just right and to be sure to mix them thoroughly. You cannot overmix epoxy. The larger the batch the less the margin of error in mixing and the smaller the batch the greater the margin for error. If you haven't already done so, click the search option at the top of this page and serach for posts concerning the correct way to ensure a good finish. There's been enough good information written on this board on that topic that it would fill a small library.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Jerry Alexander (---.long.cox-internet.com)
Date: September 25, 2005 03:12PM

Thanks guys, I've mixed lots epoxy for various things (used to build golf glubs) and realize the importance of the amounts and proper mixing. I've read all the info on this board and Flex Coat's website and I'm following these exactly.

I found a small glass vial at Hobby Lobby (candle holder) that makes an excellent mixing bowl and have a small metal spatula so I feel I could greatly reduce the amounts of the components and still get a good mix. I'm using the syringes that came with the Flex Coat so as you know, you can measure down to the 1/10 of a cc.

I guess time will tell if I can mess up a good thing just to save some Flex Coat. I assume if a coat did not dry you could go on with an extra coat, but certainly don't want to have to put too many on.

thanks again.

Jerry

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2005 05:53PM

I want to say a word about mixing 3cc's of each component. You don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. Epoxy finish is cheap. Really cheap. Mixing that larger quantity provides a much better margin of error in case you don't get your mix ratio exactly 1 to 1. Sure, small quantities will set up and cure fine if the mix ratio is exactly 1 to 1. But if you're off by just a hair on a small mix, you may be off by a percentage sufficient to prevent your finish from hardening properly. Be off by that same amount on a larger mix and the percentage you're off will be far smaller and probably not enough to prevent your finish from behaving as it should.

Which is more wasteful - a small mix that has to be removed, wraps cut off and redone, or a larger mix that sets and cures as desired? We're only talking pennies, maybe a few dimes, to mix a minimum of 3ccs of each component for each and every mix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster